Smoking spares with out foil?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
How many of you all don't foil your ribs?

I'm smoking some spares now at 230° and they have been on for 6.5 hours. 1 rack is at 190° but not really fall apart tender like we like them.

Question is should I let em go till 200° or will that be to long??

A guy I know talked me into not foiling them. He always makes some pretty awesome BBQ so I took his word on it. I just hope cooking them a little longer will give me the results I'm looking for.

I never foil but I like mine to have a bite off the bone just a little tug or I would smoke a butt. I also don't put a therm in the ribs just put temp. All that out of way foil is your best bet for super tender ribs. Don't fofget some pics!!

Well I took one rack off that was up to 190° . I really like the way it turned out. It wasn't fall apart but the bone pulled off clean and the meat was tender.

The only ribs I foil are beef ribs. I don't cook my ribs to an IT. I use the bend test to determine if they are done. Grab the rack with tongs about a third of the way up. If the rack bends 90 degrees they are done. Spares usually take 5-6 hours running the out at 250.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
The only ribs I foil are beef ribs. I don't cook my ribs to an IT. I use the bend test to determine if they are done. Grab the rack with tongs about a third of the way up. If the rack bends 90 degrees they are done. Spares usually take 5-6 hours running the out at 250.

Great advise ! I don't foil any of my ribs, but Case has ya covered here ! Thumbs Up

We will be doing our first ribs on Sunday...bit nervous that I am going to screw them up....

We will be doing our first ribs on Sunday...bit nervous that I am going to screw them up....

I've done lots of ribs but this was the first time without foil.

Its pretty hard to screw up ribs as long as your smoker temps stay around the 230° mark just let em go until they are done to your liking. Don't rush them all meat cooks definitely so just let em cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky