smoking some pork for the first time...Nube style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenube

Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Washingtonian
I am from Kent WA and am smoking a little pork loin tip roast(about 3 lbs). It is the boneless variety that I picked up in a multi pack at the local Costco. I cant tell if it is from the loin or the shoulder. I have thrown these into my crock pot for several hours and made some decent pulled pork with the roast. My question is whether this cut is best for pulled pork or just slicing?
I am using my 22 1/2 inch weber with an indirect heat setup. Fueled by some kingsford and some apple or hickory. I haven't decided. I rubbed the roast down with mustard and a sugar and spice rub.
Thinking I will need to cook this for 2-3 hours to an it of 135 and throw it in a cooler to bring it up to 140.
Anyways any tips, tricks, and traps are welcome.

Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  Check out Jeff’s 5 day smoking E-Course ( link below ) that will help you get started.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

Welcome to the forum from East Texas. I believe the old FDA recommendation for Pork was 160º I think they lowered it to 145º  If you are slicing the lower temps are fine if going for pulled you need to be up to 205º    When the FDA changed the temp to 145º they said the meat will cooked enough to kill any of the bad stuff, be more juicy and a little pink.

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky