Smoking some leg quarters today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tikotiko

Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Perris ca
Hey everyone. Its been a while. Gonna be smoking some leg quarters in a 36 inch gas smoker with some applewood chips. I rubbed them down with Grill mates pork rub cause we dig the flavor. I can only get it down to 240 degrees with water. I also have to watch the temp cause the water goes fast. Any tips would be appreciated im going for fall off the bone stuff here but im a smokin rookie

Hey tiko,

Lots of folks like to smoke their chicken ~300* or even higher. The dark meat ain't gonna dry out ya and the higher temps gets the skin nice and crispy. Careful with the amount of wood as chicken can get too smokey fairly easily. 

Good luck and post some finish product when you can. 

168 internal temp as suggested by google. Some were more in the low 170s. I took it off and covered it in a ceramic container. I thought its was gonna take much longer to cook but ive learned that chicken is ready in a little under 2 hours. We'll see what happens in a few minutes

As you cook more you will learn you smoker and know how much wood and what temps work best. I hope I didn't scare you into not having enough smoke flavor. The IT of the thighs can be as high as 190*. It all depends on how much fat you want rendered. 

Looks you you nailed it. They look great. 

Thanks guys. Next time ill let them get up to 185 i think. The flavor was on point everyone loved them. Thanks for the tips

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky