Smoking Ribs Part 2 :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mmchale

Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
San Diego
I have four racks of ribs going right now.

I'm using a Chargriller offset smoker

I wanted to get your collective opinion on rib "racks" or verticle holders. I'm using a unit that will hold up to six racks of ribs. Are there any pros/cons to using these holders?

Also how much fat do you trim off the ribs before cooking? I'm using loin backs at 1.5lbs each. Obvioisly no two rack will be alike but it seemed like you could easily go crazy trying to get all the fat off. General tips on triming these guys?

First rib smoke for me so I'm nervously awaiting the outcome :)

I don't trim my ribs.. I like to leave the fat as is and let it baste the meat slowly as it smokes. A lot of that fat will actually render and melt off during the smoking process.

As far as the rib racks.. they are really handy for conserving space in the smoker. I like to lay mine ribs down if I have room since I feel like the smoke gets to them better and the fat can more easily baste the meat.

I did a big rib party a few weeks back and had to use rib racks due to the large amount of ribs I had to do and the ribs came out great.

Now if I understand right, your particular unit has the built in rib racks and from what I have heard they work quite well.

That's correct! The BSKD and the Bandera both have rib racks. The 'Dera's are free hanging and the BSKD's slide in and out on the shelf racks.

As Jeff said, racks are great for conseving space, especially on Chargrillers which are Horizontal and have limited cooking area. I agree that if space is available lay them flat (Bone-side down).

I too leave the fat on. And for the racks I have always used them, but when I smoke I never have enough room. I love left overs (if there is enough room to lay your racks down you should add more meat)

I'll agree with that. You can never cook enough when your doing it. I went out and picked up a new freezer just for this reason. Being a bachelor there is nothing better than lots of left overs.

Finished my first rib smoke on Monday. The ribs turned out good but not great. I used the 3-2-1 method at about 225. The ribs were much drier than I had expected. I used apple juice and a little honey in the aluminum phase and sprayed apple juice on them every 45 minutes or so. Any ideas on how I can get them more tender? Perhaps I did not use enough liquid in the foil or wrapped them too tight or ? Thanks for all the help so far!

Did you remember to take off the membrane on the back? This can be a daunting task but one that should never be overlooked. Other than that it sounds like you did right. Maybe try a little more liquid in the foil. I use plenty cause I like the sweet it gives the ribs.

I should have mentioned that. Yes I did remove the membrane. Was tricky on the first one but not so bad on the rest.

Does anyone marinate their ribs? I've heard of people marinating them in pineapple juice. Anyone tried it?

Before I got my Smoker, I did my ribs in the oven. The night before I would remove the membrane from the 2 racks of ribs, sprinkle them with garlic salt, fresh coarse ground black pepper and then red pepper flakes. Into a hotel pan they would go and then I would pour 2 cups of apple cider vinegar over the ribs; cover with plastic wrap and into the 'fridge they would go over night.

The next day I would replace the plastic wrap with aluminum foil and into a preheated 425 degree F. oven they would go. After about 90 minutes I would remove the ribs from the oven and transfer them to a jelly roll pan bone side up and back into a 350 degree oven for another 45 minutes (After 25 minutes turn the ribs over so the bone side is down and cook the remaining time.) Remove the ribs from the oven, slather on your favorite sauce and place them under the broiler for 4 -5 minutes.

This Sunday I'm doing Steak and Ribs for my son's 13th birthday so I'm going to marinate a set of ribs over night and put them in the smoker along with a set of dry rubbed ribs and let the family decide which they like the best.

My FALvorite finishing sauce for ribs. This sauce can be also be reduced and served on the table.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup honey
* 1/2 apple juice
* 2 tablespoons cayenne
* 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes :twisted:
* 1 tablespoons salt

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible.

Yea mmchale, I always marinate my ribs after removing the membrane - I love to use pineapple juice and other spices. The pineapple juice has such high acidity, it actually helps to tenderize the meat. Marinate a few hours or better....overnight. Then proceed smoking using the 3-2-1 method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky