Smoking question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geigs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Minnesota
What is the general thought when it comes to water pans for smoking.

I have tried it on most everything becasue I was worried about drying food out - but as I've been soping my meats, I don't think that would be an issue

Just want any ideas...I did a couple searches but many different topics come up

Thanks for any information!

~geigs

I have almost the same question. I am new to smoking and heard that water and water vapor actually interefere with the interaction of the smoke and the meat - which made propane smokers less than optimal. Then, when looking at smokers to buy, I see water-smokers? Obviously something is amiss here. What is the real story regarding steam vs. no steam in smoking? Thanks for any advice.

I have used both charcoal and propane smokers and never had a problem getting great smoke flavor and a beautiful smoke ring. There are also some wood smokers out there with a water pan. The water pan helps to mantain proper lower smoking temperatures and help to retain some of the meat moisture. The only issue I had at first with my propane smoker was getting the sucker to start providing smoke. That problem is now licked. I will always start with 2-3 small wood chips as well as 2-3 more chunks of wood of varing sizing. If my propane Big Block smoker has not started smoking when I am ready to add the meat then I will jump start one side of a large chunk of wood on the burner of my gas grill in about 1 minute to be quickly added to the smoke box for instant smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky