Smoking & Pests

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tigermeat

Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
First post! I am wanting to build a brick offset smoker at our vacation house in North Carolina.  I am concerned about pests, LIKE BEARS, being attracted to the smell.  What are your thoughts? Should this be a concern?

Where in NC? We do have bears here. They have been spotted in Greensboro and Charlotte even. Big cats too. Don't know how you keep them away since we keep stealing their habitat from them and they find it more difficult to find food. Build a fence around it I guess.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

First post! I am wanting to build a brick offset smoker at our vacation house in North Carolina.  I am concerned about pests, LIKE BEARS, being attracted to the smell.  What are your thoughts? Should this be a concern?

What do you got against, bear?

When you said pests I immediately thought of mooching neighbors.

Murphy, NC.  I've seen bears nearby and am just concerned that it may attract them to our property. I would hate to get up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire and be confronted.  Just curious if anyone else in this region has these concerns.

Around here you mostly have to be concerned about 1 bear.... Bearcarver! Like Sqwib said, knocking sticks together won't scare him off!
laugh1.gif

Honestly best thing you can do is to clean up well as soon as you are done, don't leave scraps or anything laying around. Also mount a motion activated light somewhere near the smoker, that will help startle animals and scare them off.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky