Smoking Ostrich and Emu meats ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldairforceguy

Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Northern Delaware
Has anyone out there smoked Ostrich and/or Emu meat? If so, how did it come out. Both meats are not fatty whatsoever, so I wonder how to overcome this, as I think smoking would just end up turning this meat into one huge hunk of jerky!

I can get both meats close to me (I also think you can get it mailorder now) so I really would like to try smoking it, if it's worth the time.

PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif
Roadkill beware -- I have a smoker!

Consider a brine and or injection. Inject with some butter/oil, or rub down with oil/rendered fat. Also consider larding the meats. Any or all these techniques will help leaner cuts of meats.

We chunk lean game meats (1 1/4" cubed) wrap w/ bacon. Toothpick it. Smoke it at 225 with water bowl full. Mop with BBQ sauce. Once bacon looks cooked get meat out of smoker right away. Do not overcook. We cook pheasant, chicken, dove, prairie chicken, chukar, turkey, quail, elk and deer this way. Have't heard one complaint. Good luck. you should go for it. Sounds good.

I have never done this before but i have tried emu sausage once. There is an ex-co-worked of mine that raises emu and makes all kinds of stuff with them. I can try to get a hold of him one night this week and see if he is willing to share some of his recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky