Smoking on the kettle with firebricks - Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

amh045

Original poster
May 31, 2008
Rockford
I'm a noob and as I mentioned in roll call, I like to smoke on my Weber 22" kettle. I use firebricks and the minion method to get long burns with consistent temps.

I had a 4 lb boneless top pork loin in the freezer for the last 6 months. Wasn't sure if I should grill or smoke it. I decided to smoke it and chop it up for sandwiches.

Last night I cut it in half and rubbed one with my regular rub and the other with regular rub plus habanero flakes. Started my cook at noon today. Too long on the rub? I've seen people do anywhere from 24 hours to 1 hour before the cook.

Total cook was about 5 hours. I added a chunk of apple wood every hour for the first 3 hours. Spritzed with cider vinegar every hour as well. I pulled at 165 and wrapped in foil for 30 minutes while I grilled some corn and cleaned up all my empty beer cans.

Wasn't too impressed or disappointed in the end result. At least I got to smoke some pork and drink beer while listening to my White Sox on a nice day.

\\

Thanks,
Mike

It had a nice fat cap on it so I didn't expect it to turn out so dry. Maybe I should have pulled it earlier.

Fat cap down to protect it from the heat, coulda pulled at 150, might have been jucier.
I love your set-up with the bricks though!
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky