Smoking on the Beach?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt zad

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Newark, DE
Hellooo everybody! I'm not on the SMF site as much as I would like to be but I'm looking for some opinions or advice. I'm going to the beach over the 4th of July (Thur-Sun), Merica'. Here in Delaware you can drive out on the beach to fish, drink, and party. You can basically have everything except a bon fire out there. Usually the whole gang of friends goes out in the mornign and we stay out all day long.

I'm debating on bringing my Masterbuilt Dual Fual propane smoker out there with me. It would probably fit nicely on my hitch cargo cage. I already boaught 6 racks of SLC ribs for the weekend. Should I go through the hassle of toting the smoker out there and cooking up some ribs right out on the beach (I'll admit it'll be pretty cool) or should I save myself the mess and just presmoke them at home, wrap'em and reheat on a grill while down there? The beach is about 1.5 hrs away.

So what you all think?

I would presmoke and take them to the beach.  That way, you can join in the festivities 
banana_smiley.gif
and not have to worry about an errant football upsetting your smoker.
yahoo.gif

Smoke at home and re-heat there. If you have a vacuum sealer you could even seal them up to keep them from drying out in the fridge.

I think having your smoker right there would be cool, and nothing beats ribs right off the fire. Depends I guess if you plan to go in the water and play at other things, might get to busy to tend the smoker. Me, I don't care much for the water here on Texas beaches so I usually take a smoker or grill and sit at the truck 'asmoking and 'adrinking. The beaches at Galveston Island also let you drive right to the water and party and cook and drink. They even allow bonfires. I have also seen RV's parked there overnight.

A lot of surf fishing goes on. And legally you have to be "actively" fishing to be drive out on the beach. Only thing I usually catch is a buzz while fishing for Landshark's. My Masterbuilt is pretty easy to regualte since its propane and for ribs I usually only add wood chunks twice and I never foil them. Just 5-6 hrs of cook time and they're done. BUT.... cooking the day before at home would be a lot easier and cleaner.

Any ideas for some other easy smoker recipes that could be done out on the beach? And as fas as stray footballs go, it'll probably stay strapped down on my cargo rack on the hitch.

I pre-make ABTS for camping. Stuff them and wrap with bacon stick in a container or baggy.
Injected wings are easy to do. Pork candy is another easy treat. If you can get tri tip out there it's another easy smoke.

I always like smoking right on the spot it's fun and gets lots of compliments. I always pre-marinate and prep as much as I can at home. Larger cuts I vac pack until I'm ready to put them on. Keeps the mess down. Good luck and take some photos!

Last edited:
Can one of you explain ABTS and Pork Candy? I've decided to just haul the smaoker out to the beach. It fits on my cargo rack nicely and leaves enough room for my cooler.

ABT's - stuffed (with anything -creamcheese , bacon , Pork , etc. ) Jalapenos , either cored out or cut in half like little boats. They are then wrapped in a nice Bacon slice and cooked on the Smoker till the Bacon is done.

Candy - again , Thick cut Bacon , covered with Brown sugar and maybe some BBQ Sauce then smoked till the sugar glazes over . I think   
cool.gif

Have fun and . . .

That all sounds and looks amazing, Awesome! Thursday - Sunday is going to be a Rib, Sausage, Chicken, Pork Shot, and ABTs filled weekend.

Stan has you covered there. If you have guests who don't like heat you can use the mini sweet peppers too. The pork candy I was thinking of is Actually more like pork shots:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/114618/pork-shots-pork-candy-q-view

Moink Balls are easy to do ahead also:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/113133/moink-balls

How long do you smoke the Moink Balls?
Depending on your smoker temp 1-2 hours. Their done when the bacon is crisp.

the thing about ABT's (for me) is a low fire (225` max).. this lets the pepper get done before the bacon gets to done... I like my peppers soft and chewy.. not the hard and crunchy style from cooking to fast ... a couple of hours at 225 works good for me ...

Here's another question for all of you. I'd like to do most of my prep at home so will it be too long of a wait to apply the rub to the ribs if I do it Wednesday night but dont smoke them until Friday?

Yo
Here's another question for all of you. I'd like to do most of my prep at home so will it be too long of a wait to apply the rub to the ribs if I do it Wednesday night but dont smoke them until Friday?

You'll be fine. I per season and marinate everything when we go. These are week long trips and we smoke and grill everyday.

Good to hear. I sometimes hate cooking for others for the fear of it tasting bad. But I guess any freshly smoked rib on the beach is a good one...

yea Matt.. preseason.. but also take a shaker full of the rub with you and give them another dose when putting on the smoker... the problem (for me) when I preseason like that, all the rub dissolves (as it suppose to do).. then the bark doesn't seem to be as good as it is with a dose of fresh seasoning ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky