Smoking Meat Book - I Need Great Recipe Submissions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I have been contacted by a large publishing company and they are wanting me to write a book on smoking meat.. this is very exciting and as I finish up the negotiations I feel the need to get started putting the material together.

If anyone has a great recipe that you would like to submit, I would be more than happy to try it and possibly put it in the book.

I will be working with the designer to include a page where everyone will get credit if they had a part in this book.

I need anything and everything from interesting ways to smoke pork, beef, poultry, lamb, fish and even some wild game if possible to the categories below:

Specialty items - meatloaf, ABT's, sausages, boudin, etc.

Side items - Potato salad, baked beans, ranch style beans, anything that can be served with smoked meat could go into this category even if is made in the house on the stove.

Desserts - I know there are recipes out there for smoked peach pie and such.. if you have one of these and it is too good for words and you are willing to share with the world then please submit it.

Breads - Cornbread, biscuits, etc. Any kind of bread that you might make homemade and serve at a barbecue would be great.

Rubs, Sauces, marinades, brines - There are tons of decent rubs, marinades, sauces, etc. among you guys and I want to have some good variety. I also want to include some various versions of Alabama white sauce if anyone has a good one.

Think outside of the box and send in anything that you feel is a competition winner.

I cannot promise to submit everything that I get but I am sure going to try. I am sure the editors will have to keep me on a short leash as I am already estimating more than 400 pages and that is conservative figures.

Be as detailed as possible with everything.. I will be trying every recipe that is included in the book over the next 8 months or so and I want to know exactly how YOU do it so I can replicate it for photographs and such.

If you have a nifty way of using leftover smoked meats then I want to hear about that as well.

I look forward to seeing all of the submissions.. please send them to my email address at jeff at Smoking-Meat.com and put the name of the dish in the subject heading.

This will help me keep things sorted out a little.

I would like to have all submissions in place within 60 days if at all possible.

The book is scheduled to be in all major book stores in Spring 2011.

Let me know if you have further questions on this project
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well Hello Jeff, and I think MAJOR congratulations are in order! Good deal on your book and would love to be included in it if any of my recipes make the cut.

Definitely want a hardcover, signed, first-edition from you...so do not forget!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

First off Hi Jeff it is nice to be talking to you. A big:

CONGRATULATIONS

Goes out to you and your new book deal. I would be Honored to be able to subumit a recipe for some great food. Then after it is all over and done with I would like to order and SIGNED copy of your book. It doesn't matter if my recipe makes the cut or not I would love to have a book with all these good folks and freinds help write.

Kewl! I wish I knew enough about smokin to be of assistance to you. If I could make a suggestion for you to consider though. It would be nice to have a newbie chapter (you know, for the village idiot that just bought a smoker and knows squawt about it. Like me! lol).

It would be nice to buy a book with plenty of recipes and an extra chapter that includes "The Basic's". e.g. Not master smoking mind you, just enough step by step information to successfully accomplish your 1st/2nd smokes. This MUST include how much wood to start your 1st smoke with and how often to add wood. (I still haven't found that answer yet! lol). Unfortunately the 5 day course didn't have that either. There are a lot of Master smokers here in SMF. Unfortunately, none of you were in the box that my smoker came in when I bought it, and wanted to cook something. lol
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

As a newb, SMF peeps/forums are very helpfull, but you don't like asking 100 questions and I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate the forums.

In any event, put me down for a couple copies and Congrats!

Thanks everyone for the congrats.. I am excited about the book and trying to think outside of the box to see what I can do to make it "better" than the rest.

Vinman, the answer to your question on how much wood/charcoal it takes is, as much as it takes
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

This answer varies so greatly from smoker to smoker that it is very difficult to answer.

Having said that, I am going to have a full section on smoking meat basics.

I will give what you said lots of thought and see if I can somehow come up with an average of how much charcoal or wood to use and how often to add more for say the top 5 "first time" smoking units.

ECB, Brinkmann Smoke n' Pro, Charbroil Silver, ??, ??

I am completely open to suggestions so suggest away and I will take all of them to heart, I promise.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your submissions and your suggestions!

Look at you go! An author among us! Your next great gig. I probably don't have anything special enough to throw at ya, but I'll look.

Congrats Boss. Oh btw just in case I missed it again ... Happy Birthday / Anniversary
biggrin.gif
(it's a joke guys)

Outstanding!!! I think Dutches Wicked Baked Beans are an absolute must for starters. I'd also like to reserve a copy if I may. Can we get Cowgirl to do the cover photo?
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I sent you an email, and it got rejected and sent back. Mailerdamon thingy.

"I would be happy to add anything that I can. I have a Masterbuilt Electric and have smoked just about eveything that can be smoked.

Let me know if I can help.

I have also self published a book on gambling/ slots.

Good luck on your venture.

Ron"

I forgot to mention.. if it would be easier to submit the recipes as a private message you can do that as well.

I look forward to seeing how the recipe "cream" comes to the top in this project.

I may also be contacting some of you if I find great recipes here in the forum that I feel would be a good match and as some of you have mentioned.. Dutch's beans have to be there!

Um- well since it's been brought up twice, how about my Wicked Baked Beans???
biggrin.gif
My Shredded Smoked Beef Enchaladas would be good too!

Jeff,
Congrats on the huge achievement. Good things like that don't come often.
I would have to agree with a lot of the comments in here so far. As a newbie a real basic chapter might be just enough to create the new smoking meat professional, but you are right, each does vary so much, it would have to be basic.
I would also, like to reverse a first copy, signed autographed, and slightly smoked to a medium rare, with your favorite rub.

Just an idea here, but if you do a basic section, what does everything think about giving ideas on how to create your own basic rub. Everyone basicly uses the same basic ingredients but some of us have discovered that some spices really bring out good flavor in certain meats.

have to run, the young smoker in the family is having a meltdown

Congratulations Jeff! I'm working on a recipe for buns right now. It's getting to the point where I'm liking it. I will send it on when it's done.
Again, good luck with your endeavor.

Congrats Jeff. I would think that you have all the material you would need for writing a book you are an expert at. Are there going to be e-book versions available? Will you offer an affilliate program to sell them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky