Smoking in Pittsburgh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking pit

Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi to all from Pittsburgh and thanks for all the info especially the suggested mods for my Chargriller Smokin Pro and food safety which I was not completely aware of.  I had a bullet smoker a few years ago and used it until the fire pan rusted out.  I finally got the Chargriller about a month ago.  I am in the middle of my 3rd smoke (all nighter) trying to learn to use the new unit as a stick burner.

Hi Al,

Thanks for the welcome.  Mixed results.  I did not use any lump after the initial startup.  There is a little too much smoke for my taste.  Per what I have read some people have been able to use only wood others haven't.  I may be in the second category.  During my second smoke I used lump periodically to keep the temperatures up.  It was much better.

I did two pork shoulders one at 81/2 lbs the other at 71/2 lbs.  The 8 1/2 lb tasted better, not sure why.  My wood was left over from the fireplace garage kept for 2 years (very dry).   

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a sunny and hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Had family over today and had the pork smoked on Monday night (put in the freezer when done Tuesday).  Either I was too critical of the results at first or the flavors mellowed out in the freezing/thawing process.  As I was heating it up I did add 3 or 4 cups of apple juice (1/2 cup at a time just to keep the pork moist) - maybe that helped as well.   All enjoyed it and the smoked baked beans.  The best compliment came from my daughter who refused to make a sandwich, said she could eat more pork that way.  She also made sure she got to take leftovers home. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky