Smoking Goose and Duck Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
I just got back from the back yard and between my buddies and I have have 3 geese and 3 ducks to smoke. We have just breasted them out. I am wondering what is the best way to smoke these? Should I brine them? I have never done wild game meat and for me I got my first Goose and Duck and started hunting last year. Since we want to smoke them and then freeze some I am only going to cook them up to about 145 and then when we want to cook them for a meal we just put them in a cast iron pan and we are set. That way we do not dry them out.

Thanks for any help on this.

Reactions: Nodak21
I like them marinated in Italian dressing at least overnight and then wrapped in bacon. The bacon doesn't have to cover every little bit of meat, just added for a little juice and flavor.

I don't know if your into jerky or not but I make alot of jerky with duck and goose also. It's pretty good stuff!

Thanks,

That sounds nice and simple. And for me simple is best.

BTW this is a picture of mongos work.

10292006001a.jpg

10292006a.jpg

Yup, they are pretty easy to make that way Veneer. If ya want even a little quicker cut the breast up into 4 to 6 pieces and grill it instead. If you grill I recommend wrapping comepletly in bacon as it helps protect the meat. I just use toothpicks to hold it on.

Good boy Mongo!!! I just love a good hunting dog. I've never personally had a good water dog but have sat in a blind with several. I've had a couple good bird dogs back when we had birds and many good hounds both beagle and coon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky