smoking FAQ help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captrichc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
ive tried to search but im new hear still. and new to smoking. i have a few questions.
1. to foil or not to foil... That is the question. lol
2. vent..... open, closed, half way?
3. i cant think of anything else at the moment but im sure i have a lo more qustions in the future.
4. water pan, use with water or no water and fill with sand?
5. what is the reccomended temperate for smoking?

i am using a 30 masterbuilt electric smoker with the blue tooth feauture.
i did a brisket flat last weekend. it came out great. great smokey flavor, i resonally thought it could of been a little more moist. and it was brown all the way through. not pink at all. smoked till 200 degrees over 7 hrs. it was a 6 lb brisket. i also did it with the vent closed the whole time. there really was not fat cap on it either. would love all of the responses.

thanks in advance.. and merry christmas, happy holidys, happy new year.

Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it. Have you used the a-maze smoking tray. Used with pellets? I think I'm getting one for Christmas this way I can smoke the whole time without having to add at all.

I have the AMNPS (maze for pellets) and a prototype AMNPTS (tube for pellets). They need a bit of fresh air flowing to keep smoking once lit and ready to go, but keep them away from high heat or it will take off like a flash and burn up the pellets quickly without smoke. I fused in the MES you'll need to place it near the chip loader tray and leave the tray partially open to allow some fresh air into the pellets...that's what I've read others have done. Then, there's the mail-box mod for the MES/AMNPS, if you really want to dial-in some sweet smoke and have access to the smoke generator.

If you do a search in the smoking gadgets forum or the MES forum you should come up with a lot of info on how guys mate the AMNPS with the MES.

Eric

Last edited:
Reactions: captrichc
I checked out the mailbox smoker. I'm definitely going to have to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky