• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking chicken

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
When cooking skin on chicken the seasoning mix goes onto the skin and does not get to the meat. Suggestions?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I used to always losen the skin and mix my seasoning with butter . Rub the butter under the skin.
Now days i inject and brine , and only put black pepper on the skin .

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Order some Butcher BBQ Bird booster injection. Thank me later :). Seriously it wil give you the moistest tastiest bird ever. Alternatively you could use some Tony Chacjeries injection. It also has phosphates.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 21, 2019
Put you finger under the skin and loosen it up. You’ll make a kind of pocket. This will let you put rub or compound butter underneath.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
When cooking skin on chicken the seasoning mix goes onto the skin and does not get to the meat. Suggestions?
Brine.
You can include seasonings in the brine mix if you like.
You may just be amazed at how much flavor you get with a simple salt + water brine and then season on the skin and all of the outside of the chicken with your other seasonings MINUS salt.

I do it all the time for amazing chicken! I hope this info helps :)

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
^^^^All of the above^^^
Al

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I usually brine and do the butter rub under the skin with good results. But
Order some Butcher BBQ Bird booster injection. Thank me later :)
this has my attention...I need to make an order a BPS soon anyways...maybe toss one of these in the cart too.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I usually brine and do the butter rub under the skin with good results. But

this has my attention...I need to make an order a BPS soon anyways...maybe toss one of these in the cart too.
I did a bunch of whole turkey breast awhile back injected with it. Multiple folks have told me they have never had breast so juicy. I concur, it’s astounding even over a month later out of the freezer.

TNJAKE

Smoking Guru
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I did a bunch of whole turkey breast awhile back injected with it. Multiple folks have told me they have never had breast so juicy. I concur, it’s astounding even over a month later out of the freezer.
I also like that stuff. Kosmo has a couple good bird injections also. As well as a nice beef injection I love

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 28, 2013
I like the Cornell recipe. marinate.
when grilling, brush on the sauce, sprinkle with your rub and turn over, repeating the process. The marinade will help the rub stick.

always get great results with Cornell, with or without sprinkling on extra spices/rubs

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.