Smoking cheese with Mulberry dust.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handymanstan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Lansing Michigan
Its only 45 degrees out so should be a good day to smoke some cheese.

About 5 lb.s of sharp cheddar.

As I stated in a previous post I was able to save the trimmings off my Mulberry tree this spring and made some dust with a router.  I tried the dust in the AMNS and it seems to burn a little faster then the dust I get from Todd.  It also jumped the barrier so I filled it up with more dust and put it in the smoker.  Started at noon so I will see how long the smoke will last.

More to come....

Stan

Looking good Stan.  Keep it going till you get the color you want. 
popcorn.gif

Tom

Thank you Tom.  After 5 hours and a downpour I pulled the cheese.

Flipped over you can see not a lot of color.

I will let it set for a bit then vac seal and wait.

After 2 hours my dust burned a little slower but still faster than Todds.

Thanks for looking and I will try it and report back in 4 weeks.

Stan

Nice looking load of cheese! We have ten more pounds or so to go for the holiday gifts, then it'll be time to smoke some more for us!

Thanks everyone but I just checked my watch and there is still 4 weeks to go .  I might try one at 2 weeks and if its to strong just seal it back up and wait.  The smell in the kitchen when I packed them was like cherry.   I will report.

Stan

It has been a month time to try the cheese. 

Thought a thin crust Pizza sounded good for lunch today so I started with a homemade sourdough tortilla.

I have no talent with a rolling pin and can never roll them round but it all tastes the same no matter what the shape.

Pizza sauce.

Mulberry smoked cheese.  When I opened the package the smoke smell was really strong but it didn't last to long and the cheese has a nice smoke flavor.  I am sure some would think it’s to strong of a taste but to me it’s nice. 

I compared it to a piece of cherry smoked cheddar that I smoked for 4 hrs 9 months ago and the taste of the mulberry is comparable to the cherry.  There is a difference but it might be more in the ageing then the wood.  Overall I believe it’s very good and I will be using the mulberry for other things in the future.

Pepperoni ,black olives  and homemade pickled jalapenos  ( when I made the peppers I cold smoked them with pitmaster dust for 2 hrs first and now there is no smoke flavor in the finished peppers at all. The vinegar must have killed the smoke taste the peppers taste like sweet pickled peppers.)

Now that’s just pretty.

Out of the oven and ready to eat.  And eat I did and it was very good the smoke in the cheese was noticeable but not overpowering. 

Thanks for looking.

Stan

Thanks Cam,  How did all your hunting go?  Did you fill the freezer?  I just had a pack of salmon from what we smoked at the get together last week and it was just as good as when we did it.

The temps outside are getting right to do cheese.  Let me know when you are ready to try again.

Stan

That looks great
drool.gif
, I have a bunch of smoked cheese in fridge that I want to open so bad but Mrs said those are for gift baskets,,,,,,,,
wife.gif
,,,,,,dang gift baskets anyways!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky