Smoking bonanza w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isho21

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
San Salvador, El Salvador
Hey friends, just wanted to share some Qview from a recent smoke I did on the old untrusty ECB...went a little nuts with all the stuff I put in!

Smaller piece is a pork tenderloin, larger one is a "nuca" or "secreto" which to the best of my knowledge is like a pork collar.  We don't get boston butt over here, just picnic and I wasn't a fan when I tried it.  This "nuca" works much better...

65d138e4_IMG00276-20111119-1909.jpg

At long last, my first edible brisket (try #3 or #4).  Again, our ingredients here are lame, we don't get the whole brisket but just the flat, and they're pretty thin (max 1").  But the flavor was good, it soaked up the smoke more than the pork and it was tender and juicy, so yeah, I'm happy with it.  On the right is that piece of pork tenderloin, which was cooked ok but it just lacks flavor, juice and texture.  Glad I tried it but won't be doing any more of those.

8b5c091a_IMG00278-20111120-1438.jpg

Smoked portobello caps for my vegetarian friend.  They were tender and smoky, really happy with those.  Also some smoked corn, that worked out nicely, the kids liked it.

95430310_IMG00279-20111120-1454.jpg

The wife whipped up some tasty cole slaw for the pulled pork sandwiches...

e35fad44_IMG00280-20111120-1455.jpg

And lastly, the pulled nuca/collar sandwich.  Picked up some freshly baked rolls and it made a huge difference.

640fada0_IMG00283-20111120-1511.jpg

looks tasty from here.

I never had any cuisine from El Salvador, any good secret stuff in the rubs/sauces?

Thanks dewetha....as to your question, well, nothing really special as it relates to bbq.  As a relative newbie, I still use Kraft or Hunt's sauces out of the bottle, since I spend a bunch of time putting together my own rubs and tending to the temperamental ECB.

I did however make some local food (pupusas) with pulled pork, check them out: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/114299/by-popular-demand-pulled-pork-pupusas-qview#post_729084

Just googled pupuserias in Chicago and it seems there are a few of them out there: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061021194115AAm4HSg  Not sure if any of these are near your home.  You can also just google pupuseria and chicago and some options will come up.  Be sure to sample different kinds, especially the chicharron (fried pork).

thank isho21,

Being originally from chicgo's southside and now south burbs, I have more experience with Mexican style food. do too work Travel, I get to sample other cuisine form time to time. like in houston I really had some good tex-mex and in Miami area, I fell in love with the Argentinean local food.

I know chicago has these places but I have not gone into the city in while. I get too much road rage with crowded city streets :)

but thank for the links. I might have to venture out more.

Thanks, friends.  Making some changes to the ECB charcoal pan as we speak, will post some updates when it's done.  This is the last attempt before I break down and just buy the WSM I wanted all along...

Beautiful work and great Q-view!  You could always brine the pork if necessary to give more flavor.  Overall, outstanding work!
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks, Frosty, will try that next time b/c after smoking the fatty cuts, the tenderloin was just very boring.  Will try doing it up with some fancy liquids (spiced rum maybe?) and see how that turns out.

icon_cool.gif

Looks awesome to me I would like to have a good sammie like that anytime.

Looks good to me 
drool.gif
icon14.gif

What IT did you pull the tenderloin? 

I like to pull at 145º IT and let rest 30 mins.

Comes out great
Thanks raptor.  The tenderloin I didn't pull, just sliced.  The pork collar I pulled after resting in towels and foil for 4 hours.  Then stuck in the fridge (pulled) for about 8 hours and reheated for lunch.

The new USDA  safe temp for pork is 145º

Try pulling off the smoker at an IT of 145º and let rest for 30 mins.

I think you'll like it.

Matter of fact, I just pulled one off the smoker at an IT of 146º

I'll post a pic after it's rested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky