smoking beef ribs? What is the best method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johncoby

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Houston
OK. I have been told to cook at 250-275 for about 5 hours.

Is there anything to do to prepare the meat?

I'm assuming you mean whole finger ribs, not cross-cut or anything like that. I like to marinade my beefies in a mixture of beer, worcesteshire sauce, a bit of lime juice, a little salt pepper and whatever other spices you like. Leave them in a bag for 2-4 hours in the fridge and make sure you agitate em and flip the bag every :30 or so.

As far as smoking the goes, use 225-250. I personally don't foil them. They can be tricky and may take up to 7 hours! But dang, they're worth it. Hit 'em with mesquite smoke - can't go wrong.

Good luck; look forward to some qview,

Tom

p.s., here's some I did the other day:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/showthread.php?t=74489

If you haven't done beef ribs before, let me remind you to remove the membrane on the back of the rack. I don't marinade mine. I just apply a rub of my chosing. The temps and time estimate you've been given is good. Remember the time is an estimate. It could be done sooner or later than the 5 hrs. The best way to tell they are done is when the meat starts pulling away from the bone. Take a look at Toms' post and/or other previous posts and you'll see what to look for.

Removing the membrane from beef ribs can be much tougher than doing it to spares, so take your time. Dawn has given you good advise, follow it.

Mojo criollo is also a good marinade for beef ribs if you like mojo.

275 is running a bit hot. 225-250 would be preferred.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky