Smoking a whole turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

finsfree

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
I'll be smoking a 14lb turkey this weekend and I've got some questions?

I've got an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn offset smoker.

Questions:
1. I'm wanting to inject with creole butter. Would i inject the night before & let marinate or just before i place it on the smoker?
2. Looking for IT of breast at 190 (I don't like the meat when it's at 165...too rubbery)
3. Olive oil, salt & pepper for the outside
4. I'll be using oak wood for smoke

I'm looking for that Boston Market and Publix rotisserie type fall off the bone meat.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Hope I'm not too late...

Smoke @ 275*(+) to make it through the danger-zone temp OK (40-140*/4hrs). Inject the night before if you like. 190* should be fine if you can maintain chamber temps high enough to get it there relatively quickly...otherwise, you will loose more of those precious juices and have a drier bird...that's the risk with higher finished temps. Oak may be a heavy smoke for poultry, so you may want to smoke for only a couple hours, and/or keep it light.

Eric

I have been looking at some injection sauces/marinades, I'm not sure what to call it, but everything seems to be creole butter base, then spices or whatever. What is special about the creole butter? I noticed you used it by itself. Do you normally use it by itself or does the meat being injected determine the flavour of injection sauce? I have a new injector, and I am still trying to decide what to put in my injector. I was thinking some sort of homemade marinade with my own spice blend. I know the holes are small, I can use powdered spices, but is this a no no when injecting?

Basically, I just wanted to try it out. Seems like lots of people like the creole butter. I didn't add anything to it just straight from the jar. I was just trying to get the meat right this time. Last time I did a turkey I didn't like it IT 165. Needed to be cooked longer like IT 190

In my opinion, after injecting each breast 4 times, it wasn't real strong tasting. Meaning, you could add spices to it to kind of "jazz it up" and you be fine.

Where I noticed the taste was in the wings.

Hope this helped

We decided to inject a pork roast, but it's only going in the oven. Got the recipe on this site and we thought we'd give it a try. We made a rub too, and the fridge smells delicious. We're going to put some more rub on in the morning, but I am not sure whether to pat it dry or just apply with a shaker wet. Pretty excited to do my first injection, been looking for a lots of tips, and I found some. I decided to inject 4 hrs before the roast, so I took the day off work to do it.

Finsfree , hello from Ohio
icon_redface.gif
 . Great job on the Bird ,looks yummo
icon_exclaim.gif

I want see your Butt
popcorn.gif
 , I'll be waiting for the reveal, sipin' on my favorite ice cold beverage
pepsi.gif

see ya  in the  Smoke , have fun and . . .

I'll be smoking a 14lb turkey this weekend and I've got some questions?

I've got an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn offset smoker.

Questions:
1. I'm wanting to inject with creole butter. Would i inject the night before & let marinate or just before i place it on the smoker?
2. Looking for IT of breast at 190 (I don't like the meat when it's at 165...too rubbery)
3. Olive oil, salt & pepper for the outside
4. I'll be using oak wood for smoke

I'm looking for that Boston Market and Publix rotisserie type fall off the bone meat.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Your pictures looked like it turned out great. I always brine mine the night before. When I pull the birds out of the brine I inject them with a jalapeno butter mixture I came up with. Then I take more butter and mix in some herbs. I then take that mixture and coat it all over the bird and in between the skin and the breast. I sold 9 of them this year for Thanksgiving and have standing orders for whenever I do them again.

I get to do my first turkey tomorrow. Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to brine mine tonight, then dry rub it. I'll keep you posted. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky