Smoking a Whole Pork Loin Today...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbonejack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
I'll be smoking a whole pork loin today.

I bought the loin at Costco yesterday ($18.59).  I made some fresh rub this morning, cut the loin into 3 pieces, applied a light coat of yellow mustard, and coated the loin pieces with rub.  And I put them back in the refrigerator where they'll stay for 6-7 hours.

I'll be using my WSM with Kingsford charcoal and cherry wood chunks.  And I'll be applying a homemade cherry-bourbon sauce at about the mid-point of the cook, and towards the end as well.  I'll be shooting for an internal temperature of 145 degrees.

I'll start up the smoker at about 1:30 this afternoon.  I'll give updates as I go along.

Last edited:
Well, I've been delayed due to a storm. But it'll pass, and I've got all night...

Last edited:
The WSM is holding temperature very steady at 227-233.  I've got my ThermaQ set to alarm when the grate temperature falls out of the range [225, 235], and the alarm hasn't gone off yet.

The internal temperature of the pork loin is 103 degrees after only 45 minutes on the smoker.  This may be a shorter cook than I thought.

I'll be basting with the cherry-bourbon sauce at internal temperature 110 degrees, and again 20 minutes later.

popcorn.gif

Well, I took the pork loin off the smoker at an internal temperature of 145 (verified by a ThermanQ probe).  And I independently verified 145 with a Thermapen MK4.  After only 2 hours of smoking at 225-235.

I wrapped them in foil, and will remove them and serve in 30 minutes.

This is fun.  A lot of fun.

Last edited:
OK, so I removed them from the foil and my son sliced them.  And I had a small bite, and it has a wonderful taste.  But I'm probably biased.

Seriously, it has a very nice bark, it's tender and juicy, and has a wonderful taste.  We're all happy here.

Looks really good. How long did you rest them? I've only made canadian bacon with whole loins, never smoked one for chops.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky