Smoking a Turkey in Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jiju1943

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
East Tennessee
When I smoke butts and ribs I always put 5 or 6 charcoal briquets in my electric smoker to get a good smoke ring. While smoking a turkey do I still use the briquets or not. I have smoked turkey before but I can't remember if I used the briquets. Also do any of you use a small amount of water under the turkey to help with moisture?

That is your choice. The Briquettes will add a bit of flavor but because turkey does not have a lot of Myoglobin, stuff the makes meat Red, there is not an intensely visible smoke ring. I don't use water in my MES unless I am doing a long cook like a Butt...JJ

Jiju. Have you got an AMNPS
icon_question.gif
 Use it and infuse some flavor into the meat. If you don't have one, PM Todd and order one , you will not be sorry.

Stan

No, I don't have an AMNPS, I do have one of the cast iron slotted boxes that I use saw dust in for smoke, it works well. Thanks for asking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky