Smoking a pre cooked ham Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jipnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
south west ohio
I've read some post on precooked hams and one thing I wanted to ask, Be for smoking should you take off the outer casing so the ham will get better smoke??? Some casings are very tough. Makes you wonder if made from plastic lol.

By casing if you mean wrapper yes. If you are talking after removing wrapper just score the outside slightly and I like to spritzt wile reheating. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

Are you referring to a boneless restructured ham that is crusty on the outside and usually comes with an elastic netting around it?

You can smoke these after removing the netting and leave the crusty where it is.

My experience is they are not nearly as good as the regular pre-cooked ones
icon_sad.gif

If it IS the skin you're talking about, you should just need to score it like said before, I would advise against using a spiral cut ham as they are a chore to get out of the smoker once they have warmed up and the fat has loosened.

I believe he is talking about the artificial casing that is on the oval shaped, water added, hams you get at any grocery store. I sliced up thousands of these when I worked in the meat dept., years ago.

These casings are usually punctured in spots, to let in a certain amount of the smoky goodness, but not very much.

I would definitely remove this wrapper, if I was going to re-smoke it. Although, there are some that don't have this casing. These are generally the more expensive hams too. IMO

"Wow" just got back from work and yes I'm talking about the artificial casing. Oval shaped water added, boneless is correct. My wife buys these all the time. I hate the casings. Thanks I will remove it and smoke away. Thanks all, didn't mean to confuse every one. I guess I'm the only poor smoker out here who buys cheap hams lol. Just kidding!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky