Smoking a couple of chickens need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaketruck

Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Branson Missouri
Tomorrow I am planning on smoking a couple of whole chickens and a nice big brisket. I have never smoked a chicken, but thought I would take the skin off, smear yellow mustard on and then use a nice rub I have found. I am open to any suggestions as I don't know if thats how to go about it or not. And also how and where to measure the temp to know if its done. Thanks. By the way.....I am smoking in brinkman vertical smoker. Will it matter if the juices of the brisket and chicken mix? I could put foil under the one on top I guess to channel the juice to the outside perimeter.

Skinning it and rubbing it is the healthiest way to prepare it!  

You definitely want to put the brisket on top and the chickens underneath; the juices of the chickens carry more potentially harmful bacteria than the brisket.

You want to hit 165° in the breast/175° in the thigh.

Have a great time and consume frosty cold beverages throughout! (Diet Rite Total Zero of course!).  Be sure to post plenty of Qview - never ever ever too much Qview, lol!  And, while you're waiting, catch some shots of the attendees enjoying too!

Skinning it is the Healthy Choice, but I think the skin provides a level of protection from drying...You may choose to rub the mustard and your rub under the skin, smoke the bird then remove the skin before you eat it...JJ

Brisket...You can take it to 165*F, foil then back in to 190*F for slicing...205*F for pulling...or...Many Smoke the whole way without foiling...JJ

So just pull the skin loose and shove the rub in?
Yep!...Inside and Out...Did you Brine first?...1/2C Kosher Salt, 1/2Cup Brown Sugar, 2-4 Tbs of your Rub and a Gallon of Cold water...Soak the birds 8-24 Hours, in the refrigerator, then Rub and Smoke, for Juicy, Tender, Best darn Chicken you ever ate...JJ

Last edited:
When soaking do the birds have to be submerged?
Yes... a couple of plates should get the job done...A big Zipper Bag full of water works too. Place Birds and brine in a big pot or bucket with the plates on top..JJ

Last edited:
Chickens done in 3-5 hours,  2x that on the brisket. or more depending on size for sure. I prefer to do the brisket the day before and reheat the brisket while cooking the yard birds...

just a thought.

I got them in the brine this morning. I didn't have 24 hours but hopefully 8 will help some. Pretty simple and the gallon bags in a big cooking pot worked nice and neat. Now.....we wait. I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the help fellas! It was great. I can't wait to do more chicken. Here is a pic of the finished product and one of my el cheapo smoker doin' its thang! Cant wait to get my smoker built!
5df599ea_smoker.jpg
8f3248ea_chickenandbrisket.jpg

There you go...Looks Great!...JJ

The confusing part for me is how the times differ. I only smoked the chicken for 2 1/2 hours, and it was done according to sight and the thermometer. The Brisket only cooked for 4 hours and was done and very good and tender. Why do some smoke for soooooo long like twelve hours for a brisket?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky