• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking a brisket flat at high heat

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Briskets can be difficult at times :)

I'm betting your flat could have gone to a higher temp until it became tender.

Just remember briskets are done when they are tender and they are tender when you can stab all over and it goes in like butter, especially in the flat which is the problem child of the 2 brisket muscles.

I bet if you throw in a crockpot or covered pan in the oven, add some BBQ sauce and simmer it then you will get all the tenderness and juiciness you can want and have amazing brisket! :)

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Briskets can be difficult at times :)

I'm betting your flat could have gone to a higher temp until it became tender.

Just remember briskets are done when they are tender and they are tender when you can stab all over and it goes in like butter, especially in the flat which is the problem child of the 2 brisket muscles.

I bet if you throw in a crockpot or covered pan in the oven, add some BBQ sauce and simmer it then you will get all the tenderness and juiciness you can want and have amazing brisket! :)
You know, it's funny you mention it, but I was kind of thinking the same thing about bringing the flat up to a higher temp, but I was hesitant for fear of drying it out..

I could tell when I probed with the thermometer that there was still some resistance on the flat, the point it slid through just like butter..

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
You know, it's funny you mention it, but I was kind of thinking the same thing about bringing the flat up to a higher temp, but I was hesitant for fear of drying it out..

I could tell when I probed with the thermometer that there was still some resistance on the flat, the point it slid through just like butter..
Yeah the POINT will rarely give you any problems. It's the FLAT that is the pain in the butt. Best place to temp probe is in the thickest yet center most part of the FLAT and just remember that temp tells you when to check for tenderness. Stab ALL OVER and when it goes in like butter all over then its tender and ready.
On Choice and under I don't even check until my lowest probe is 200F. With Prime briskets I check at 198F.

That will solve you dry and tough problems, I'm sure of it :)

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
STOP!
Stop smoking to a specific temp, cook till it's probe tender.
Even cooking to temp, your 190° isn't cutting it, try more like 204° if you're going to cook to a temp.
And for Hot-n-Fast smoking, the bigger the brisket the better the results.
Your latest brisket at 16.5lbs was in the 15lb + range that I recommend for Hot-n-Fast.
And are you double wrapping? Multiple layers will help with moisture retention and braising during the latter portion of the cook.

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
STOP!
Stop smoking to a specific temp, cook till it's probe tender.
Even cooking to temp, your 190° isn't cutting it, try more like 204° if you're going to cook to a temp.
And for Hot-n-Fast smoking, the bigger the brisket the better the results.
Your latest brisket at 16.5lbs was in the 15lb + range that I recommend for Hot-n-Fast.
And are you double wrapping? Multiple layers will help with moisture retention and braising during the latter portion of the cook.
I'm sure you're right..going to give it another try..slightly smaller brisket this time and not pay so much attention to the temp as opposed to the feel.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.