Smoking a 3 lb oven roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xrocket21

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Massachusetts
Well, my original intention was to get a boneless turkey breast, but they didnt have it. I bought an oven roast. its 3 lbs

I have it in my fridge right now with a dry rub on it. I plan to smoke it for 3 hours tonight. I just got a digi therm, what should I cook the inside to? This isnt for pulled brisket, its more of a smoke roast. is this even right?
eek.gif

What kind of roast? If beef cook to a temp that you like your beef. Rare, medium rare, med, med well.

For me I woud go between 135 rare, to 140, med rare an rest for 20 minutes.
Good luck.

IMO it really depends on the amount of fat in the roast. I agree with Ron and if it's lean and you're slicing it I wouldnt take it past 140. In fact if 140 is your target temp I'd pull it off at 135 and double foil it, wrap in a couple towels and into the cooler for at least 30 minutes. Make sure the foil keeps the juices inside. If it has a good amount of fat to it I'd foil it at 140 and put it back on until it hits 200.then you can pull it or attempt to slice it. The flavor will be incredible.

It didnt really work too well. I was planning on it taking like 3 hours, it ended up taking maybe 1. My guests weren't coming till later, so I tired to chill out on the heat, and keep it warm.

It was over done for my tastes, well done, but not dry. Guests enjoyed it, but it wasnt really what i was going for. It was my frist time with a digi thermometer and the spray bottle of apple juice.

I was expesting a long , slow cook, with tons of smokey flavor....

It ended up being more of just a regular roast. Which is still good, just not what i was going for.

roast.JPG

what kind of temps were you using during cooking? It seems they were too hot if it jinished in an hour. Three pounds should have taken at least 3-3.5 hours. Atleast that is what I am guessin.

Only one therm, and it was in the meat... and the lower vents on my webber are toast, so I have little to no heat control. I think I put too much charcoal in. I dont know. Bah, pretty disappointed. Oh well.

no prob, there not all gonna go a desired, especially starting out. Here is a link for something you might be interested in, if you dont want to spend the bucks to get a smoder but want .... a smoker. I have never used one but have heard several people talk about them and say they work great.

http://www.smokenator.com/

Looks like your cooking direct with your weber. Want to pile those coals on one side and meat on the other if your using it to Q. That beef should take longer. Lower temps = more smoke flavor pending on the wood.
2 pesos worth

Xrocket21
Sounds like your guest enjoyed the meal don't be so hard on yourself. They only get better from here on out. You'll find the flavors your looking for just takes a little trial and error. Beside theres no such thing as a bad smoke until the dog won't eat it
biggrin.gif
. Enjoy
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky