Smoking 2 Pork Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drginlbc

Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Having a BBQ in a couple weeks and we were thinking of smoking pork butts.  I have a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker.  I saw some butts at the store that ranged from 4-5lbs.  I was thinking of doing two in the smoker at once.

Does anyone have any tips?  How long should I plan on having these butts in the smoker?  Should I switch their positions half way through the smoke (should that matter)?  When you smoke two separate butts, does it take the same amount of time or do you need to double the time?

I plan on using a mix of hickory and apple wood chips.  I also have a nice rub I found in a book I have.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Here is some good reading... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/135898/amazen-q-matz-product-test-results-now-available

Beyond that I can tell you if you are going to smoke between 225 and 250*F plan on 2 Hours/Lb plus a 2 hours of CYA/Rest time. Your time will be based on the heaviest Butt...You won't have to move the Butts around because they are not that picky and the MES will not be too full.You may want to add a Finishing Sauce to keep the meat moist and add flavor. Since I don't know where you are from or what you like, I will offer two. The first Recipe is on the Sweeter side, like a Kansas City style sauce. The second Recipe is a Vinegar based Finishing sauce like that used in Eastern North Carolina...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122319/jjs-finishing-sauce-awesome

Since this is your first post I encourage you to stop by Roll Call and give us some info on you. 

Last edited:
Here how I do mine,
Put Rub on the night before,
Put the butts in pans, or butts on grates and pan under them to catch all the juice,
I have smoke them anywhere from 225 to 300 . Your first time I would stay between 225 and 250.
When they reach IT of 165 you can foil them. That were the pan helps, you can just cover the pan.
If you want more bark don't foil them. Takes longer this way but I like better bark on them.
When they reach IT of 205 foil them and stick in cooler (no ice) and fill the rest of cooler with towels. Let them rest for at least 2 hours before pulling them. Take the juice from the pans and defat them , and pour the juice back over the pulled pork.
Hope this helps

I can tell you straight up that JJ's recipes are awesome!

But so are mine!  My finishing sauce and BDSE (Best Damn Sauce Ever) are in the following link.  I can't compete with the chef but my sauces are...well, the best ever!  
biggrin.gif
  (BTW...JJ is my hero!)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129351/pgsmokers-best-damn-sauce-ever-bdse

The first sauce is a finishing sauce that you mix into the pulled pork after pulling and the other you put out in case your guests want to try the Best Damn Sauce Ever!   

Good luck,

Bill

So, I did a trial run with one pork butt last weekend.  The piece I got was about 4 1/2 lbs.

I had it in there for about 7 1/2 hours and only got the internal temp up to about 170.  I quickly found out that it didn't "pull" and we ended up with sliced pork sandwiches.  Still delicious, but not what I want coming up this weekend.

I'm guessing that I didn't have the temp up high enough (around 225 - 230).  I also read that the temp sometimes stalls on the meat when it hits the 170 range.  Should I be wrapping them in foil and continuing the cook?  I'm looking to do 2 pork butts around the same size this weekend.  If I want to eat around 6-7...when should I be putting them in the smoker?

Hope I have better results!  
icon14.gif

I use a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker. Usually only smoke my butts at night.

With a 10lb butt I set the temp to 210 and the timer at 10hrs.

I remove the thick layer of fat and give it a quick rub with SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER, AND PAPARIKA.

After a quick rub it goes in at about 8pm. I load the smoker with chips at this point. Enough to last a few hours, like 3-4 cups.

I pull the butt in the morning about 7am and wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler for a couple hours. By 10am I'm in pork butt heaven! The fat just melts and keeps the butt moist. Juicey and it falls apart like nothing.

I generally use a store made suace.. lets face it.. they've been doing this longer than I have.

I use a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker. Usually only smoke my butts at night.

With a 10lb butt I set the temp to 210 and the timer at 10hrs.

I remove the thick layer of fat and give it a quick rub with SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER, AND PAPARIKA.

After a quick rub it goes in at about 8pm. I load the smoker with chips at this point. Enough to last a few hours, like 3-4 cups.

I pull the butt in the morning about 7am and wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler for a couple hours. By 10am I'm in pork butt heaven! The fat just melts and keeps the butt moist. Juicey and it falls apart like nothing.

I generally use a store made suace.. lets face it.. they've been doing this longer than I have.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky