Smokinator1000

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Since you've gotten no responces, let me just say this.......

If you do a google search for reviews, I don't think you'll find a single bad review.

But I don't own one myself.

I did get a PM. He suggested the use of bricks to do the same thing. I like that advantage in that you can make changes for different cooking sessions.

Pete

I have seen someone take a sawzall/tin snips to a cookie sheet. They snipped it so the bottom fit snug against the fire grate and the top was just big enough for the lid to fit. Perhaps it was someone on this board.

-rob

Props to the guy who invented it though, gotta admit it looks pretty cool. Might be a nice addition if you needed to do more meat than your regular smoker could handle

I get very good results using my smokenator, and Don (the seller of them) is very helpful. I get a very stable temperature.

That said, using this setup, I'm now pretty locked in to finishing my butts and briskets in the oven. You get a nice long initial burn (with mine 4 - 6 hours) but after that its a bit of pain to keep feeding it more charcoal. Once my meat gets to 160, I foil it and bring it inside. So, the way I use it isn't for smoking purists.

I think it was worth my money. If money is tight, go ahead and use bricks or a cookie sheet, but I think I am getting my money's worth out of the Smokenator.

I use briquettes for the intial load, and when I add more charcoal, I use lump. This keeps the less than yummy briquette lighting smoke away from the meat. If I was going to add briquettes, I'd make sure to use something more like Kingsford Competion or Duraflame.

I've had one for over a year now. I used it all the time when I first got it however, now I've been using the drum mostly. I liked it very much, I got great burn times out of it...4-6 hours without having to add more. I think it's best suited to doing ribs though. But of course if all you have to spend is about that then it's a great addition to your cooking hardware.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky