Smokin Trout or grillin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishhead

Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
New to cooking rainbow trout, caught the whole body tasties myself, icefishing, any suggestions on smoking or grilling them?
Bone in and whole body.

I've grilled trout in the past. After smoking the fillet today, it'll be tough to go back. Trout fried on a campfire is mighty fine, too. My problem is that I can't get enough.

My own preference right now would be smoked, grilled, fried, in that order. Unless I was camping, then grilled. Fried would be fine if fires were outlawed at the time.

Fishhead,
I grew up on Brookies, and I gotta say, fillet them , roll them in some flour and cornmeal, and fry'em up! I suppose either grilling or smoking would be good - either way, FILLET THEM!

I don't screw with the bones anymore - not worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky