Smokin John's UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking smoker! I have two barrels that are waiting for me to get at em and make the modifications!!! Great looking ribs too!

Great looking smoker! I have two barrels that are waiting for me to get at em and make the modifications!!! Great looking ribs too!
I thought building this UDS would be a one time thing but I have gotten the fever. I am thinking about how I can build the next one.
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Thanks for the compliment dirtsalior. After making these 500 gallon cookers this 55 gal UDS was a quick and easy build. I have got to put some wheels on this thing because picking it up to meve it is to much work. I guess I am off to Harbor Freight.

Pulled pork cooked today. I welded the casters on and added a bottle opener. I need to install a grommet or something to run the wire from my temp guage into the pit. I'll get that done tomorrow. I am looking for some kind of chromed out pig to put on this UDS - add a little bling. If I can't purchase one, I am think about cutting a pig out of a sheet of chrome diamond plate. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Last edited:
Today I installed the inlets for the temperature sensor wires. I used two brass hose barbs (5/16" X 11/4") purchased from Lowes. I cut the long end off and screwed it into the hole that I had drilled. Once installed I cut the other end down to about 1/4" to make inserting the probe easy.

I found this UDS while surfing and thought it would be interesting if someone wanted to hinge the lid on their cooker. No explanation was given as to how it was constructed but it seems simple. The hardware looks like braces used in fence or utility door construction. It's just a matter of bending them at an angle. My lid fits like a glove after I hammered it out but it would be interesting to see what kind of fit this is.

Bulk pick up has begun in my city - this is we're the city's sanitation department will cart off all of your trash items. This is a virtual smorgasbord of grill parts. It's like dumpster diving but you surf through stuff people have put out on the curb. I am hoping to gather up four or five Weber grill tops along with some good grill parts that will be perfect for my next UDS build. So let the building begin.

Last edited:
I cut a piece of 16 ga metal with one end shaped to fit the barrel. I welded two pieces of rolled steel to the plate to serve as a mounting bracket. It fits perfect and provides gracious space to mount your gadgets.

I like UDS but have never built one..I even have a couple of barrels to do so...Yours looks great !
Once you build one you will be hooked. Its amazingly simple and it produces some of the best "Q". This UDS will be going with me to my first KCBS competition in April.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky