Smokin In The Rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin sid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Greetings Everyone!

I plan on smoking some chicken halves this weekend and there is rain in the forecast.

How long and at what temp should I smoke at?

I also hope smoking in the rain isn't going to invite rust to the exterior , I store my smoker in

my garage when not in use. I want to get as much smoke time as I can out of this smoker.

Any input will be greatly appreciated .

Happy Smokin Everyone!

Smokin Sid

Don't know what type of smoker you are using but the last time I used my offsetsmoker in a light rain the water tends to cool off the smoker and made it difficult to maintain temperature. If you can try to keep the rain off the smoker.

Last edited:
I just use mine just inside the garage. It also helps protect it from wind issues. Most of the smoke goes out the door and I can't really smell anything in the garage.

Don't know what type of smoker you are using but the last time I used my offsetsmoker in a light rain the water tends to cool off the smoker and made it difficult to maintain temperature. If you can try to keep the rain off the smoker.
Stands to reason. But my experience is slightly different. Going by the built-in thermometer, which is mounted near the top of the cover, there can be a significant drop in temp---depends a lot on the temperature and severity of the rain. 

However, when I retrofitted my off-set with thermometers at grate level I discovered there was little significant drop in temps where it mattered.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky