smokin in Pa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

george301

Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hi,
I'm George and new to you all. Been smoking kielbassi for over 25 years learning from my Dad. Used old wooden smoke house with pit. Gettin old now, so my kids just bought me a propane smoker. I believe brand is Rocky Mountain from Gander. I've been told using propane is a learning process. Never used water before in smoking. My questions are what temp do you pre-heat to? What temp do you smoke at and for how long?Any favorite smoking chips(I like cherry) Do you use chunks or can you use Lil chef Dust? I got a lot more so help me out. I'm a little leery but willing to give it a try..

Welcome to the SMF. I don't really know much about propane smokers, but someone will be along to help you.

Welcome to SMF, George! I can't help you a lot with your propane smoker cuz I use an electric one, but maybe I can help a little with some of the other questions.

Only use time as a rough (very rough) guide for how long to smoke a piece of meat. Always use internal temperature to determine when meat is done. Every piece of meat is different and some take a lot longer than others. Go buy a digital thermometer and make sure it's accurate by testing the temp of boiling water. The thermometers that come with smokers often are VERY inaccurate.

For most kinds of meat I have the smoker around 225°, but I usually "preheat" the smoker to about 275° because the temp is gonna drop when you open it to put the meat in. The water pan is to help stabilize temperatures but some of the folks here put sand in the pan instead of water to accomplish the same thing.

That's probably more than enough from me.
wink.gif
smile.gif

On the left hand side of the page there is a link for propane smokers. That would be a good place to start for more info. But I'm sure someone will be along soon who smokes with propane.

Make yourself at home around here. The folks are friendly and we're glad you joined us.

Welcome aboard George, glad you found us! What Homebrew said is good advice... stick around here and you'll be an expert in no time!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome George I am a newbie here myself about 2 1/2 hours west of you in PA. A lot of friendly people here and lots of great information.
icon_wink.gif

Welcome to smf. I have only had a propane smoker a very short time but it seemed to hold temp well. I did a couple mods as in adding a gasket to the door and some dampers to each side down by the wood pan. I also use an old cast iron skillet for the wood pan.I made a step down from the regulator that was recommended here that allowed me to maintain low temps at 140*. There is a link here somewhere to show you the pics.

Welcome to the SMF, Homebrew gave some good advice. I will add this, when you start with your smoker cure it first, spray everything inside with Pam or something similar and heat it up to about 300° for a couple of hrs. This will great rid of any chemicals or other stuff left over from production. Then you will also need to check the accuracy of the door themometer(most aren't accurate) you can do this with your digital thermometer after you cure by letting the temps come down to a smoking level and checking it. If it's not bad off you may could use it, just compensate for the difference.
There's a lot of info here, just sit back, pop a top and enjoy.

On edit- don't lay your digital thermometer on the rack, insert the probe in a cork or potato just to keep the probe of the rack just so you don't ruin it

Welcome George. I've used a propane for about 3 months and from what I've seen with mine is you can maintain a higher temp with gas if you need it. The water helps maintain the temp. Most of My smoking is at about 240, but time is only an estimate. You need an meat thermo to tell when it's ready. I'm going to cut my own smaller chunks that will fit my box. My .02 is the chips go to fast and the chunks you buy are to big for mine. Good luck and and don't be shy to ask questions. There is a wealth of info here.

George:

Welcome aboard. Nice to have you.

You are already making friends and receiving some good information so I won't try to add anything.

I will just extend a welcome and know that you will enjoy the time you spend here.

Skip

Hello George, nice to know you're willing to give it a shot. Now that you're a member of the SMF, we'll be able to respond to any issues you might have. Smoking temps may vary depending on the meat, but usually we go by internal temps. Cherry is a good wood, sometimes you'll just have to try a few out to find the one YOU like best. Good Luck on the gasser.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky