smokin corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajsmokes

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Omaha, Ne.
Gonna give this a try.. so my lady was at the store the other day and picked up a few corned beef briskets. So I took one and rinsed it yesterday and seasoned it with the packet that came with it and some black pepper.
got my smoker up to 230. Using mesquite and cherry wood. Gonna take the IT to 195 wrap in foil and let sit for a few days before slicing..

Reactions: disco
Should be good..... I have found that Bride likes the seasoning ground up in a coffee grinder before putting them on the CB.... It even helps to wrap tight in plastic wrap for a few days before smoking..... She doesn't like biting into pepper corns and other stuff when eating it...
Anyway, something to think about for the next one.... There will be a next one because it is so darned good..... better than store bought....

Dave..

I thought about grinding the spices but didn't know if it would make much difference. I'll keep that in mind though for sure..

After 7 and half hours of smoke finally got to temp. Wrapped in foil for couple hours then into the fridge for about 3 days before slicing..

One question. Could anyone tell me why it shrunk so much?

I'll never buy store bought pastrami again.. even my daughter's liked it.. and that says a lot..

I did one the conventional way on the stovetop yesterday. I thought about getting a few more while they're so plentiful and cheap, rinsing them and vac-seal to freeze for later. Seeing your smoke, I think I'll do that. Excuse me-got to go to the store! Thanks, David.

I did one the conventional way on the stovetop yesterday. I thought about getting a few more while they're so plentiful and cheap, rinsing them and vac-seal to freeze for later. Seeing your smoke, I think I'll do that. Excuse me-got to go to the store! Thanks, David.
pick me up a couple while you're there.. lol

I'm back! Only got 1 because they're all so small. I got the biggest one and it's only 3.5 lbs. But $4.99/lb for brisket seems pretty cheap. Thanks again for the idea, David.

If you have the room and facilities, try making some from scratch with an uncured brisket. I use Pop's brine and it always turns out awesome and not too salty.

If you have the room and facilities, try making some from scratch with an uncured brisket. I use Pop's brine and it always turns out awesome and not too salty.
Right now I don't have the room.. this store bought wasn't salty at all.. I let it soak in water for about 12 hours.. changing the water every hour..

That's what a lot of people do as the store bought corned beef tends to be very salty. The other advantage of doing from scratch is you can season the way you like and experiment some to tweak it to your liking. Again, well done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky