Smokin Char Siu pork in the rain. What a beautiful day :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnbphotos

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Lowell, MI
Well, as a fan of the red food colored Chinese Char Siu pork I decided it was time to throw some smoke on the recipe. I used the following for my marinade. I added some pineapple juice to the marinade and used that as my mop.

Char Siu marinade

4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 tbsp Thai chili pepper
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon rice wine

(I left out the red food coloring the restaurants use)

I marinaded the meat over night. It was on the smoker at 2pm

d1e545bc_myhappyplace.jpg

I also had a pot of scalloped potatos, cheese and ham absorbing the smokey flavor too. After approx 5 hours of smoke I pulled and proceeded to rest it for approx 45 mins.

Then, Whalaaaaa

Next, Char Siu ribs :)

acbb63a4_char-siu-pork.jpg

Last edited:
I was just thinking on this today!  Love char siu and used to make it all the time, a LONG time ago. Thanks for sharing, now I'm adding it to the "do soon" list.

Thinking about using what didn't get eaten at dinner to make some pork fried rice and pork lo mein with :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky