Smokin' Butts & Ribs Under the Stars... W/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp61

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 6, 2011
NE Ohio
Here we go again...

I was planning on getting an early start around 5:30am (alarm) to smoke 17lbs of butt(s) and three slabs of spares later on. What I didn't know was that the yahoos across the street were going to wake me up three hours early with their arguing/screeming outside, about who knows what. Job security for the police... Little pissed off, but, since I'm up I might as well smoke. Fired up Mr. Coffee, Mr. Camel and the MES40, when up to temp I put in the pre-soaked apple wood chips and 212° apple juice. Then I decided to raise the set point 15° above where I wanted to be for loading the butts since it's 26° outside, figured it would help with the recovery time. I'm using my Maverick ET-732 for the first time.... this thing is SWEET!! Got some nice TBS going on, but I keep going out because I can't see it from the house, it's dark outside.... gotta have smoke if you're smoking! Have the MES set at 255° and the maverick is holding pretty steady at 235° with the bigger butt at 77°. Long ways to go until that first bite...  

a8e4067f_IMAG0081.jpg
b864acd3_IMAG0083.jpg

8efc55b9_IMAG0079.jpg

Starting to look and smell good (better than last smoke) @ 126° IT... I'll take a pic before the foil.

Update:

I have the smaller butt on the top rack and the bigger piece on rack below it. Not sure why... the butt underneath is not developing as nice of a bark on the center top area. I'm thinking that it's from the one on top dripping on it and it's always wet in that area. Next time I go out there I'll switch them around. 136° IT.

Update:

IT° was stuck at 154° for quite awhile just now went up to 156°. Ribs are loosening up on the on-deck circle...

3f901845_IMAG0084.jpg
3ec45a14_IMAG0085.jpg

Last edited:
Butts are foiled at 165° and da bones are a smokin'....

ad0f8a16_IMAG0088.jpg
053c1635_IMAG0087.jpg

Looks good Joe, must have been cold, looks like you were shaking a lot
biggrin.gif
Thanks SQWIB. It was 26° outside when I started than dropped down to 24°. I'm using my phone to take pics, sometimes they're good sometimes not.... it's the operator though, not the phone.

Getting ready to dress up Mr. Porky in a new shiny suit...

The butts are at 165° IT..... those suckers dropped 15° when they got dressed!

6686bd6e_IMAG0090.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to dress up Mr. Porky in a new shiny suit...

The butts are at 165° IT..... those suckers dropped 15° when they got dressed!
Everything is looking nice!

Did you add any kind of juice to the foiled meat?

If so, was that juice cold?  I bring mine to boil in the Nukulator first, so it goes in the foil hot, with the meat.

That seems to keep them from losing ground at that time.

Bear

Everything is looking nice!

Did you add any kind of juice to the foiled meat?

If so, was that juice cold?  I bring mine to boil in the Nukulator first, so it goes in the foil hot, with the meat.

That seems to keep them from losing ground at that time.

Bear
Thank you Bear!

Yes I did and yes it was. There I go again, learning from my mistake.... Thanks Bear!

Thank you Bear!

Yes I did and yes it was. There I go again, learning from my mistake.... Thanks Bear!
LOL---Not really a mistake.

I think a lot of people don't heat the juice first.

I used to heat my spritz too, when I used to spritz my ribs, before I started foiling them instead.

You're learning fast, because you aren't afraid to ask questions.

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Now I have to agree with the other folks here and say that you have some fine looking Q to eat tonight.

I'm so tired, can't even think straight!

I'll fess up tomorrow... Here's a couple more Q-views

af94e664_IMAG0091.jpg
1e52ae49_IMAG0093.jpg

Yeeehaaa!!!!!

Looks great!

Nice closeup on the pulled pork too---That's what I like to see!

Bear

Great looking Ribs and PP.  I think you have it mastered...

LOL---Not really a mistake.

I think a lot of people don't heat the juice first.

I used to heat my spritz too, when I used to spritz my ribs, before I started foiling them instead.

You're learning fast, because you aren't afraid to ask questions.

Bear

I see some Old Timers keep their mops right in the pit.

Thanks guys!

This smoke turned out a little better than my last, but not without errors. Right now I'm all smoked out from 34lbs of shoulder the past two weekends. I think it's time to smoke something new! Maybe a fatty or two.... we shall see. I must be a couple fries short of a "happy meal".... haven't even learned how to use my MES40 well and I'm already considering charcoal smokers, like the WSM22. I'm thinking more flavorful food when weather conditions are favorable to using one and my MES the rest of the time. lol... only one little problem, it would take four hundred and thirty greenbacks to have it delivered to my house. Maybe I can scrape together some OTat work or set up a lard stand in my front yard!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky