smokin 140* pounds of pork butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markeli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 5, 2006
Magna, UT
I need to figure out how much longer it will take to smoke 140 pounds of pork butt. The most I have done to date is 40 pounds which took 18 hours at 225* in my propane fired refrigerator smoker. It will hold all 140 pounds with out the butts touching each other. They will be real close together but not touching. Does anyone have any ideas. They don't want them done before hand and then warmed up. So I need to figure out about when to put them on.

Mark Elieson

Mark, Glad to see ya up and around-well at least posting anyway. :D
How's that shoulder mending?

Going back to when we had the family business our smaller smokehouse would hold between 200-275 pounds of meat. When we had a full load of hams (approx. 250 lb) it would take close to 24 hours to smoke-

that was my guess about 24 hrs for that much meat mass but I am not sure. I was thinking about giving my self 26 to 28 hours and if it is done early I can just turn down the smoker to about 190* and let it hold until they are ready.

Mark

ps, Not quite up and around yet had six trips to the ER a week after surgery for various complications but I am doing better now I think. mee

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky