Smoker tube on coals or on grate?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alsta

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 20, 2021
Perth Amboy, NJ
First off, Thank you all for your great advise on a number of questions I've had.
Now without further adieu, another question!

I have a pellet tube and a bunch of pellets that I don't want to dispose of now that I've made the switch to a charcoal smoker.
Can I fill the tube and place it right on the coals for the same effect, or should I still just light and place on the grates?
Or even just toss the pellets directly onto the coals without the tube?

Reactions: JLeonard
If you've made the switch to coals I would use wood chunks for smoke. Keep the pellets and the tube for cold smoking
Don't know if I'm brave enough to go cold smoking yet. Still new to the smoking game in general and would like to get a better grip on hot smoke first

Reactions: JLeonard
Forget the smoke tube & pellets with your charcoal setup, just mix in a few wood chunks, and keep the tube for cold smoking. As said above cheese is about as easy as you can get.
Al

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have used the smoke tube and pellets on my kettle.
I wanted pecan smoke. I didn't have any pecan chunks, but I did have pecan pellets.
Don't put the tube on the coals. You'll end up igniting the whole tube of pellets

Reactions: kilo charlie
To answer your question.. do NOT put it on the grate as Fueling Around Fueling Around stated.. they will all ignite at once and that's not what you want. If you want the extra flavored smoke and to use up your pellets, put it on a grate as long as it's far enough from the fire to not ignite all the pellets at once.

As the others have said.. Cold Smoking is super easy. Fill the tube with pellets, light it and let it burn for about 10 min then snuff out the flame and depending on the length of your pellet tube you should get a few hours of smoking out of it.

You can use your grill as a cold smoking vessel.. just don't like a fire in it. use the grates and place blocks of cheese on the grates and maybe a pan of ice in there depending on the ambient temps and in a few hours you will have smoked cheese. ( there are many posts about this on here if you want to research further)

Good advice from all. My favorite time to smoke cheese is when the ambient temperature is in the 40's.

Reactions: kilo charlie
A mix of flavors, It was a bag full that I got from Amazon, Worked great for learning basics - just needed to get something better as I dislike propane ( Might as well cook on the stove )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky