Smoker Temp. Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

braggjr

Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
San Leon, Tx
Hello all,

I've been smoking sausage in an old freezer type smoker. Something I just threw together several years ago. I started with a couple electric hot plates then went to a propane burner in the bottom. This worked well but I didn't have the temp control I liked. So.......A few days ago I came across a commerical double door freezer which I plan to turn into another smoker(Thing is beautiful!). I'm looking for some help with a better way to control temp. Prefer a dial type control. Don't really have to get over 200 deg but would be nice to get around 250 if I decided to smoke some ribs or a brisket. I can use electric or propane since I haven't started anything yet. Sorry for the long post and thanks fo the help!

Braggjr

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your heat problem, but someone will be along shortly that can.

Welcome to SMF. There are people here who will definitely be able to help you. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :)

Thanks guys! All help is appreciated. I have 110 and 220 available. Anybody ever try to use a oven or stove top and it's temp controls? Been searching on the site and have many ideas. I like the smokedaddy. Thought about getting one of those for smoke and some kind of elect element for temp control. I found a pic of my old freezer smoker. Wasn't much but it worked great. Just wasn't able to smoke more than 50-60 lbs at a time. This one will look better thus keeping the wife off my rear about trashing up the house and property :). I'll try to post a couple pictures. One of some finished sausage and snack sticks and another of the new freezer.
3373b3e3_vbattach20778.jpg

76bfc110_vbattach20779.jpg

welcome to the site i made a smoker out of a fridgebut i just used a damper and small burner and it smokes and maintains temp great good luck with it
bucket.com/albums/uu275/rejii_2009/0228090843b.jpg[/IMG]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky