Smoker Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maddmims

Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I need help! Buying my first smoker in many years. Had a vertical but want a horizontal with wheels. I want to stay below $600 but can go higher. Want to use both wood & charcoal. Gas option would be nice but not necessary. My Number One main concern is regulating the tempature with ease. Don't want to have to babysit. I reviewed all the smokers on this website and am STILL undecided so I tought I'd cry out for help. Any suggestions?

For a horizontal offset with that kind of controll you are going to have to spend some $$ and get one with 1/4" steel construction. None of the flimsy metal ones at the big box stores will hold the temps that well without a lot of babysitting. Maybe keep an eye out for somebody selling a used Lang?

I had a Char-griller with all the mod's and eventually sold it to get my 22.5" WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain), specifically due to the temp. controll issue. All things considered I really, really like my WSM, and being the 22.5" I can fit a lot of food on it at one time.

I have a chargriller duo...propane grill on one side,charcoal with side firebox on the other. With some mods and a few firebricks you can have a pretty good rig. do some investigating on tha search and wikis and do some reading!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky