Smoker Issue - Pork Shoulder in the oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plugs

Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Michigan
Well due to an issue with the smoker this am, I now have a 9 pound shoulder which has been in the oven for about 8 hours.

I was a little sleepy when I moved to plan B and am now wondering if I should have done something different.  I just threw it in the oven at 250 wrapped in foil.  After a couple hours, I peeled back the foil & about an hour ago, I poured a little apple juice over the top.

Any issues with just doing 250 in the oven till it reaches 205, or any additional steps?  Note: I did make some of the famous finishing sauce for the first time and that is ready to roll!

Thanks

Well due to an issue with the smoker this am, I now have a 9 pound shoulder which has been in the oven for about 8 hours.

I was a little sleepy when I moved to plan B and am now wondering if I should have done something different.  I just threw it in the oven at 250 wrapped in foil.  After a couple hours, I peeled back the foil & about an hour ago, I poured a little apple juice over the top.

Any issues with just doing 250 in the oven till it reaches 205, or any additional steps?  Note: I did make some of the famous finishing sauce for the first time and that is ready to roll!

Thanks
Sounds like you've got all your bases covered. The smoker is nothing more than a lesser insulated oven that women don't keep clean. So cooking it there is great if you don't get stuck cleaning it. It shouldn't get dry, not if it is foiled. Any small thing the sauce will cover it. 

Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing! Great job so far.

Thanks for the feedback - really appreciate it.  Kind of bummed as I have not done a Shoulder in quite some time, but figured it would turn out OK in the oven.  Will have to get another one soon once the smoker is back up and running, think something plugged the line from the tank to the burner.

Have a great weekend.

I agree with Kevin, sounds like a good OVEN!  
icon_lol.gif

Way to improrvise!!

AL

Thanks for the feedback - really appreciate it.  Kind of bummed as I have not done a Shoulder in quite some time, but figured it would turn out OK in the oven.  Will have to get another one soon once the smoker is back up and running, think something plugged the line from the tank to the burner.

Have a great weekend.
Spiders and dirt daubbers love hoses and burner vents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky