Smoker burning coating off.. food ruined??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jax04

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Ok, I got a char griller deal... yes I'm new.

I'm a touch concerned. Today on my first real smoke its burning the coating off the firebox. It does not smell pretty at all.

Is this gonna ruin my cook??

3.5 hours in

e6e2ymy8.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yes. I coated everything In vegetable oil and cooked almost a whole bag of charcoal also practicing heat control. Yesterday.

I also already grilled on the grill section.

JAX, morning....  usually, the first run with the smoker is "as is" or after a soap and water scrubbing, and at a high temp...  as high as you can get it....   say 450-500 deg.... or on a gas grill 700 ish....     That burns off all the stuff the manufacturer used to form the metal etc.....     Then coat with veggie oil and run the smoker/grill at regular operating temps for a couple hours to season it....    

Not being sure what temps you achieved, in your test practice burn, there could be fumes from paints, oils and your veggie oil you are smelling...   You have to decide what you are doing from here...

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I didn't measure the box temp. Just the grilling area. Which I tried to maintain 225-250 range.

The stuff that's burning off today is on the outside of the firebox.

This is where its happening.

ryna3eqy.jpg

Is it my grill or does everyone smell real Terrible when that stuff starts burning off?

Jax, It looks as if the smoker got hotter on the cook than it did during the "seasoning" run....   You have to decide whether the food got tainted with something from the oils/paints inside the smoker....   ain't worth you or your loved ones getting sick over $20 worth of meat....   the hospital bill could be a lot more than that...  

For $hits and giggles I stuck a temp probe in the fire box. Its over 450 at my 225* grate temp which is where I cooked it in last night. A few times it was over 300 inside my grill. So it had be over 500 In the box for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jax, It looks as if the smoker got hotter on the cook than it did during the "seasoning" run....   You have to decide whether the food got tainted with something from the oils/paints inside the smoker....   ain't worth you or your loved ones getting sick over $20 worth of meat....   the hospital bill could be a lot more than that...  

Dave if I go get another butt how quick is too quick to get it done? Its 9:16am now. Can I get it done by 6pm tonight you think?

If you pull the bone and cook two halves.....   Foil at 150 ish after a good smoke... then finish at 300-350 ish in the smoker of in the oven, you stand a good chance of getting it done.....    The key is removing the bone and cooking 2 halves....      Dave

Last edited:
This fire box has me worried now too. It doeat appear to be burning off coating any more. Should it cool down and re oil it before firing it again,?

I know I can't Get Another one ready in time. Looks like it was a very expensive lesson in grill seasoning. Gotta get it catered now.... yippie

Na. I agree with above. It don't smell kosher my family won't eat it. I'll take this oppurtunity to crank the heat to hell and back and take care of whatever else is still lingering. Maybe do some ribs tomorrow.

I wrapped it up and its in the oven. I'll decide this afternoon on what I'm doing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky