Smoker build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wurkenman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I want to build a smoker/smokehouse in my back yard next summer. What are any concerns over plywood vs lumber. I had an idea to build out of plywood and insulating it for year round use. Does the glue in plywood pose any risks? Similar design to this is my goal.

Terry

I have seen some folks build their smoker out of plywood, but I believe they only use it to cold smoke. I'm of the school of thought that believes any fumes from glue is too much. My smokehouse is built out of cedar and cinder blocks. After running a couple of oak fires in the firebox, there is zero cedar scent inside the cook space. The untreated cedar fence pickets work well, and are really cheap in my area. There are others on this forum that may be able to better tell you how their plywood smoke house works, but I really didn't want to put all the work into building a smoker and then realize the glue affected the meat when it was too late.

Just my two cents. 

That was kind of my plan. To use planks or something, then rip some narrow strips to screw on over the vertical boards. I will get a stainless drip pan made at work. very nice smoker by the way.

Last edited:

I want to build a smoker/smokehouse in my back yard next summer. What are any concerns over plywood vs lumber. I had an idea to build out of plywood and insulating it for year round use. Does the glue in plywood pose any risks? Similar design to this is my goal.

Terry

At smoking temps of <250° you won't have any issues with plywood.  

Depending upon your location, insulation may not be required, but that will also depend upon your heat/smoke source.

Terry

Depending upon your location, insulation may not be required, but that will also depend upon your heat/smoke source.

I don't really plan on doing too much hot work in my smoker, I have my ceramic grill for that. I live in Minnesota. The last bacon I smoked, the outside temp was -20, that's why I was thinking of insulation. The heat source will be wood, or charcoal, possibly both.

I've never used charcoal to smoke, except in my ceramic grill. How is this better or worse, even different than a wood fire? Is it about the same to control heat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky