smoked vidalia onion?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tims77

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
any thoughts? couldn't find anything in the archives....

here's my thought

peeleed, cut in half, score the face of the onion.....a little olive oil, salt & pepper

placed on foil underneath the ground beef fatty i am doing (beef/shroom/bacon/bleu cheese)

can't hurt, we'll see what happens

Been wondering about the same. Almost cut a couple in half and put them in the smoker doing the July 4th smoke...

I bet it might turn out good, and I still may try it next smoke... along with a bulb of garlic - roasted garlic is the bomb!

Let us know how yours turns out.

I've been thinking about throwing on a few when I do another long smoke. Keeping them whole for a couple hours then wrap them in foil and put back on till soft

i am only doing a fatty today, so i will cut in half for a quick smoke

That should get it done faster and don't forget the Qview and how it came out
biggrin.gif

Do em all the time. Done them whole, sliced, cut in half and choped. I Like the sliced and choped the best. Sliced for hamburgers, brisket sandwiches or whatever. They take the smoke well. Those Vidalia onions are so sweet you can eat them plain.

Thats exactly what I want to do with them Dale when we grill and do taters we always do vidalias if we got em and eat them plain

Try cutting out the center of the onion about 1/2 inch from the root. Put a couple pads of butter in the center and then crush a beef bullion cube and put it in the center also. Foil and smoke for about 2 hours until it feels soft squeezeing it. Polk a couple small holes in the top with a tooth pick and then some smoke will penetrate also. Open foil carefully and it should be similar to French Onion Soup.

the fatty broke in half a bit as i was transferring.....but i patched it as best i could and tossed it in.....it won't be pretty, but...

i halved the onions, olive oil, salt & pepper and topped with a few shroom slices

sweet onions top rack sliced but not all the way through a little butter and a good sprinkel of your rub in a foil bowl bought 4 hrs at 210 to 225.
wow good stuff

no camera available last night

honestly, the onion was the highlight; straight ground beef fatty dried out a little bit, and needed more apple/less hickory ;)

the onion was halved, a little olive oil, s&P, under the fatty....250ish for about 2.5 hours

it was way good

I do them all the time too. I cross-slice into 1/2" thick slabs like making onion rings. A bit of olive oil and garlic.

I use a perforated wok, about 10" across, either on the smoker, or a quick BBQ so they get seared and crispy crunchy on the edges. I've got photos, let me dig them up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky