Smoked Venison Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Guess I'm just a dumb PA Dutchman but that seems to a bunch of work for simple dry beef or venison for that matter. Everyone has their own concoction for dry beef but my feeling is that it is in the brine. My brine includes the spices and is not injected. Rather, it is absorbed through the process of brining. The longer I brine, the shorter I smoke simply because the meat becomes less hydrated. We like it dry to the touch in this neck of the woods for SOS and and other baking goodies.

Just my two cents
Sounds great!

Next one you do, post it for us.

BTW: I don't normally inject. I only inject if something is too thick to cure properly from the outside to the center.

Thanks,

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: kel krause
I don't know how I missed this. It really brings back memories of my Mom making this with a white sauce & putting it on toast. She called it Sh%& on a shingle.

I'm going to do something similar to this in a few days with some elk roasts that have been in Pop's brine for a couple weeks. I have seen a lot of different things on the temp you need to take it to, ranging from 135-165. I know the temp for pork has recently been lowered, but any recommendations for this?

I'm going to do something similar to this in a few days with some elk roasts that have been in Pop's brine for a couple weeks. I have seen a lot of different things on the temp you need to take it to, ranging from 135-165. I know the temp for pork has recently been lowered, but any recommendations for this?
I was shooting for 158* or higher. I don't remember why---I must have read it somewhere.

However, since it is like "Dried Beef", the drier the better, so I kept the temp low, long enough to get good smoky flavor, and took the temp up higher & took it to more than 158* to get it to dry out. Probably wouldn't hurt going even higher internal temp, as long as it didn't get too dry. Mine was quite moist, and I loved it, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt it going a little higher.

No need to make this stuff rare or medium rare.

Bear

I was shooting for 158* or higher. I don't remember why---I must have read it somewhere.

However, since it is like "Dried Beef", the drier the better, so I kept the temp low, long enough to get good smoky flavor, and took the temp up higher & took it to more than 158* to get it to dry out. Probably wouldn't hurt going even higher internal temp, as long as it didn't get too dry. Mine was quite moist, and I loved it, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt it going a little higher.

No need to make this stuff rare or medium rare.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I'm not even sure how I want this to turn out, I just know they've been curingfor 2 weeks and are ready to go. Maybe canadian bacon or somethingelse I'm not sure

Thanks Bear. I'm not even sure how I want this to turn out, I just know they've been curingfor 2 weeks and are ready to go. Maybe canadian bacon or somethingelse I'm not sure
It will be like Dried Beef, totally different than CB.

Just make sure you slice it very thin, not much thicker than paper.

Awesome stuff !!

Bear

It will be like Dried Beef, totally different than CB.

Just make sure you slice it very thin, not much thicker than paper.

Awesome stuff !!

Bear
I've never had dried beef, what's the difference in the two? It seems like they're prepared the same way: cure for a while, set it out overnight, smoke. I'm probably missing something

I've never had dried beef, what's the difference in the two? It seems like they're prepared the same way: cure for a while, set it out overnight, smoke. I'm probably missing something
Since you never had Dried Beef, you're really in for a treat!!!!

Only Pork done that way tastes like CB.

Venison, Elk, Caribou, Moose, etc, etc taste like Dried Beef.

Be sure to try the following Sammy:

Two slices of fresh soft white or Italian bread.

Miracle Whip (or Mayo).

Slice of American Cheese.

Few thin slices of Dried Beef.

I used to eat two sammies like that every day for about 3 months after Deer season.

Bear

Last edited:
bearcarver                                                                                                                                                                                                                            this is my second batch I just can't stop eating this stuff come on hunting seasoning 12-2 the big day thank's for the recipe.

bearcarver                                                                                                                                                                                                                            this is my second batch I just can't stop eating this stuff come on hunting seasoning 12-2 the big day thank's for the recipe.
Thanks Robert !!

I told my Son I want some Deer backstraps for dried beef this year. Gotta be awesome!!

I remember when schools around here were open on the Monday after Thanksgiving (first day of Buck).

Then they decided since none of the boys, and even some of the girls went deer hunting & skipped school, they'd call it "In service days", and close the schools for Monday & Tuesday.

Good luck Monday!!

Bear

Pennsylvania Deer season opened this week, so I figured I should bump this for those who can shoot straight.

Bear

Since you never had Dried Beef, you're really in for a treat!!!!

Only Pork done that way tastes like CB.

Venison, Elk, Caribou, Moose, etc, etc taste like Dried Beef.

Be sure to try the following Sammy:

Two slices of fresh soft white or Italian bread.

Miracle Whip (or Mayo).

Slice of American Cheese.

Few thin slices of Dried Beef.

I used to eat two sammies like that every day for about 3 months after Deer season.

Bear
That's in my top ten of all time foods for me.. I do a dried beef like that and summer sausage, and a cured raw texture smoked venny, etc and having the soft white bread, cheese, mayo just chilling next to you while you're hunting just about makes a man go crazy.  My women laughs at me because throughout the year, I'll make a sandwhich like that and before I can eat it, I put it in the fridge for a few hours so the whole thing is the same cold temp, just like hunting. I love it! Great post as usual.

Good luck hunters!

I did this last weekend following your thread and it worked great. That was my first smoke and the main reason for getting a smoker, so finding your instructions was perfect timing. I've already pointed other members to your thread as the best way to do it. Then first thing I did after slicing it up was to make a sandwhich like you described, because I never tried it that way and man it was great.

That's in my top ten of all time foods for me.. I do a dried beef like that and summer sausage, and a cured raw texture smoked venny, etc and having the soft white bread, cheese, mayo just chilling next to you while you're hunting just about makes a man go crazy.  My women laughs at me because throughout the year, I'll make a sandwhich like that and before I can eat it, I put it in the fridge for a few hours so the whole thing is the same cold temp, just like hunting. I love it! Great post as usual.

Good luck hunters!
Thank You TG !!!

Great minds really do think alike. We never have to worry about our food spoiling in the North during Deer season!!

I remember one time my Dad packed the sandwiches, and I had to settle for cold rabbit with Mayo on white bread. It was great, but just not the same!!

During the off-season, you could always go out in the yard, and sit down with your back leaning against a tree, while you eat your chilled Hunters Sammy!!

Bear

I did this last weekend following your thread and it worked great. That was my first smoke and the main reason for getting a smoker, so finding your instructions was perfect timing. I've already pointed other members to your thread as the best way to do it. Then first thing I did after slicing it up was to make a sandwhich like you described, because I never tried it that way and man it was great.
Thanks Andy !!!

I love it when a plan comes together!

I'm real glad you like it & are letting others know----Why should we hog the Great flavors!!!

Bear

Thanks Mike!!

That's a little rare for dried beef, but as long as you like it………….

Bear

This looked awesome, thought I would give it a whirl!
naryde4y.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky