Smoked Two Yard Birds Today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackhawk19

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 20, 2007
Troy AL
I smoked two twins today, both were 5.01lbs. I brined them with Debi's mixture for 12hrs, coated with EVOO and Lemon Pepper and started at 10:30. I know, no Fatty but I still have some frozen from my last smoke. Smoker temps 290° to 300° using a little hickory and cherry but mostly apple.

The taste testers are in position

3hrs into smoke

After 4:15hrs the finished product pulled at 172°, I will taste test at supper tonight

Ya know.......For a "Grunt", ya do ok.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Nice work BH!

One question though........ How big was the can the bird came out of ? C- rats ya know!

Looks great Blackhawk, I have a question though, when I cook them that long, at that temp, the birds are LOTS browner, not dark really, just definately darker than yours. Must be my rub, (Jeffs) ?

You could get green eggs and ham out of C-Rats but the best was pound cake and peaches, we delivered a lot of cases missing them
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
I never found smoked yard birds in them

I know what your taste testers are thinking... are you done yet?

tasty looking birds, I have one soaking in brine as I type. I'll try tomorrow, first time I brined one. I usually just rub and smoke.

I had some for supper tonight, great taste and very juicy

On the plate

BlackHawk that is some awesome looking bird with just the right amount of smoke. Very nice color in that breast and golden skin They must have been great.
icon14.gif

Those are great reference pictures that will serve as a guide as I try my hand at smoking chicken again. I just got my ET-73 thermometer and will definitely put it to use on monitoring the smoker and chicken temps. I think I will also try brining a chicken. Besides the higher smoking temp. you think the evoo on the bird helps crisp the skin? The chickens were smoked the whole time with the breast sides up yes? Thanks !!!!!!

Plenty of fat in the skin for a crisp. just keep the temp up enough to get it there. If ya want REALLY brown, use butter/lemon for the last half hour as a mop.

Sorry, I should have said they were breast down for the 1st hour, then turned

This is the brine I used
1 gal water
1 cup salt (sea or kosher)
3/4 tps Garlic powder
3/4 tps Onion powder
3/4 tps Cajun spice

Hope this helps

Thanks Blackhawk, I'm set for next week. I like the idea of your drip pan under the birds. Did you try incorporating the drippings from that pan into your gravy?

No, I just cook'em, my wife puts them on the plate and I keep my mouth shut
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif
I think she opened a can
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky