Smoked two chickens today...

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by coyote-1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 Smoking Fanatic

ad learned that chickens require a) a rotisserie or b) a mop.

The meat's delicious. The skin?? Tasty, but you have to chew it and spit it out. Oh well.

2. pignit

pignit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've started cookin chicken hotter and it works out a lot better for me. Crispy skin. Sometimes I'll finish chicken off on the grill... really hot just to crisp the skin up.

3. Sounds like you need to tweak your process. Never had that problem. I smoke on a an old offset New Braunsfels and a home made gas smoker. Keep your temps on the line and the TBS flowing and you should be good. Chicken is one of the easier things to smoke up. Give some specifics on how the smoke went and maybe we can help. I have never used a rotisserie or a mop on my chicken.

4. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Personally I brine, spritz and smoke at 325* and they seem to come out good cause no matter how many I do they seem to all disappear [​IMG]

5. coyote-1

coyote-1 Smoking Fanatic

I've smoked for many years. ALWAYS mopped until this time. Having read folks here who don't mop I figured I'd try it.... doubt I'll ever again forego mopping.