Smoked Turkey Breasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gene reda

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
Northern New Jersey
Hi All,

Smoked two 5 1/4 pound turkey breasts for the fourth. I soaked them in brine with some Yoshida's sauce for about 14 hours and then rubbed them with some big time rub. After letting them sit for about an hour with the rub I put them in the smoker at 275 degrees with some oak, cherry and hickory and just let them go for about 3 1/2 hours. At that point I put them in a foil pan with some apple juice and covered them with foil for another 35 to 40 minutes. Used the drippings in the pan mixed with some honey, big time rub and kraft honey barbecue sauce on the side. The smoke ring in the turkey slices was a perfect deep red about 1/2" deep all around and it was nice and juicy. God I love smoking it as much as I do watching it disappear (and helping make it disappear!). Can't think of any better way to spend the fourth.

Now if I could just find somewhere here in North Jersey that I can buy a packers cut of Brisket I would be set. The BJ's and Costco that I checked only carry the flat cut which run about 6 pounds.

Gene - Is there a Wal-Mart SuperCenter near you? If there is, become friends with the Meat Manager! (always a good idea!)

If they are not stocking them now................they can definitely get them!
They also carry nice Butts (8 - 10 # range) The packer Briskets I buy from my Manager are usually 12 - 15 Lbs.. They are Excell's - a good brand!

Jeff

Once again I agree with Jeff. I was going to a good butcher in town for my Butts and Briskets then I saw them at Walmart and they were almost half the price I was paying. I tried them and they were every bit as good as the ones I was getting from my butcher. I would still buy a good steak from my butcher but anything you'll have that much time into like a Brisket the Walmart meat is fine.

True! I do not buy quality steaks at Wally World. Briskets and Butts are not Prime Cuts. That's what smoking is all about............turning a low end piece of meat into something delicious!

Unfortunately I don't know of any Walmart super centers here in North Jersey...it seems that they only build the Department Store versions here. I will have to look and see if I can find where the nearest one is.

Thanks for the help.

I located a Walmart Supercenter on their website that is about an hour away in Monroe, NY and just spoke to their meat manager. She told me that they are out of the whole (packer cut) briskets today but usually carry them and should have some more in by the end of the week. Looks like I will be takin a ride Friday afternoon and cookin Brisket this weekend!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hi Gene,
I was just scanning through the posts and read this thread. Curiosity got the best of me so how was the trip to Wally World and most interestingly, how did the brisket turn out. I can tell you that I did my first one back in the spring by following info on this forum (on Yahoo back then). It turned out fantastic! The suggestions from Jeff and Jeff are very good.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky