• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Turkey breast

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Looks great Rich and I've gotta try the brine !
Wife and her sis are on the WW diet and love smoked turkey. Thanks for the ideas!

Keith

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012

Alright I have to work this weekend, but I have next week off. I know what I'm making now. I hope the local grocer has them in stock. One question Rich. Why the use of two different sugars brown and white? It's only in the brine for an overnight swim.

Chris

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Thanks . I have a few hours in doing this . I've settled in on this method .

The short time in the brine won't add a hammy / cured flavor , but it does add to the taste and texture in my opinion . Not anything you can really put your finger on , it just works .
Also the brine ingredient amounts are where we like it . Salt level is perfect , and seems like a lot of sugar , but it works .
If I change things up or leave something out , I get questions at the table .

I do mine whole 99 % of the time . Used to do the butter under the skin . Still do sometimes . For this method , leaving the skin tight and tying it improves the texture . Again , this is done to our taste . You can use the basic idea and apply what you know . I like the boned and rolled over the bone in .

Appreciate all of the info. I picked up a couple bone in breasts last weekend on sale for $.99 a lb. Might give the cure brine a try.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Why the use of two different sugars brown and white? It's only in the brine for an overnight swim.
That's the way Pop's formula is , and I mix it they way he posted it . You could inject with some Tony C's or use a brine you're used to . I just really like this on poultry .
I've gone longer , but find for doing this overnight is perfect .

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Na I was just curious about the use of two different sugars.

Chris

DRKsmoking

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
Great Birds Rich.
And thanks for doing the test on the 2 ways . Bone in and bone out
I can see this happening here soon.
And the picture of the open face plate was just a mean tease, but looked great

David

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I was just curious about the use of two different sugars.
I really don't know . I have done it with all brown sugar and it was good . All white sugar isn't the same .
Great Birds Rich.
And thanks for doing the test on the 2 ways . Bone in and bone out
Thanks David . Bone out is the way to go .
the picture of the open face plate was just a mean tease,
That's a different cook , but I usually have an open face sandwich with the leftovers .

DRKsmoking

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
That's a different cook , but I usually have an open face sandwich with the leftovers

I figured it was and you were just giving Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) a little dig
But it was enough to make me drool and also want one, lol, with the dressing and all.

David

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 12, 2018
This looks great and excellent write ups Rich. I've made a few boneless Breasts over the years. Never tried brining, etc. Seems like it's time to give this a try. We only have Turkey 1-2 times a year not counting Thanksgiving. It's usually pretty good, but a little mild flavor wise. This seems like it steps up the flavor, etc. Thanks for sharing.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks great
Thanks Keith . Great way to do turkey . Let me know if you try it .
This looks great and excellent write up
Thanks Mike .
It's usually pretty good, but a little mild flavor wise
I know , and I get it . The Turkey I had from Sugar fire BBQ was fantastic , and made me think about redoing they way I do it .
I could eat their's , sliced thick with nothing else . It's just really good .
This method is just as good . Sliced thick , doesn't need anything else .

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
That looks fantastic Rich! Here’s another thing to add to the never ending and always expanding to-do list. That de-boned is just great.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Awesome, Rich!!
Mighty Tasty!!
Nice Work!
Like.

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.