Smoked Tri tip & shrimp stuffed Fattie Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mauismokemeats

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Maui, Now here in Las Vegas
Saturday was a beutiful day for smoke out.

I decided to do a smoked tri tip and try my hands on a stuffed fattie.

Enjoy the pics.

Seasoned up the tri tip with my rub mix and extra virgin olive oil let it set till I got the fattie prepped and ready to hit the smoker.

Makings of the sausage fattie, I sauteed some onions, bell peppers, garlic and some spices

Then I rolled out the sausage on some plastic wrap, cleaned and cut in half some 15/20 shrimps layed on the sausage,put some sun dried tomatoes, then I added the saute'd peppers and onions

Rolled it up, wrapped it with bacon.

Then I rolled the fattie tight in the plastic and holding the 2 ends to roll it nice and tight.

During the prepping I got the smoker up to 220, added my smoke and on they went into the smoker, put a drain pan with some water to keep it moist.

2.5 - 3 hours later it was done, pulled the tri tip out at 145-150 for a nice med, med rare. the fattie was a beutiful golden color on the bacon.

The final results was amazing, the tri tip was perfect, moist and just right smoke, the fattie was juicy, moist and tasted great, the sun dried tomato and pepper combo kept the fattie nice and moist. Dinner was great.

Thanks for sharing the Qview.

Never thought of shrimp in a fattie before...good idea! Thanks for sharing your creation...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mahalo's guys, I should mention I used the bottled in oil re-hydrated sliced sundried tomatoes, this added a degree of juicyness to the fattie and of course the juices from the saute'd peppers and onions added some moisture as well, cheeze I should have used italian sausage and have a new spin on an old italian favorite "sausage and peppers"
wink.gif

"Mahalo's" - how long have you been on the mainland? I'm a huge fan of the Hawaiian dialect!

Back to the food, ya got a nice meal smoked up, there. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, and giving us something to drool over!

Ilike the dinner spread the tri tip and fattie looks really yummy. ???? thigh the shrimp were they cooked good or did they come out rubbery??? I've been thinking of doing a fattie with shrimp but haven't yet.

The shrimps in the fattie were great, it held it's own as when you normally cook shrimp, you slice it up it's cooked shrimp, if you get soft shrimp then shrimp is bad to begin with, it will firm up by nature when cooked. I love seafood and will eat a rubbery shrimp anyday vs a soft mushy one. To be honest it was great, I couldn't tell a rubbery cooked shrimp vs a firm cooked shrimp, seems like the texture was there for shrimp, give it shot you won't be disappointed.
wink.gif

Maui,
Points for you. Ono lookin Grinds brah!!!! The papio/uluas are running. Hurry home and get some. Zzztttt......Zzzztttt......Zzzzzzzttttttttt....ZZZ ZZZZTTTTTTTT.....Snap!!!

I can't believe I missed this post...nothing worse than missing something that looks so great.
Nice job Mauismokemeats, it all looks great.

That looks and sounds mighty good!! I now know what a fatty is I keep hearing about it, but haven't seen pics yet. May have to smoke one sometime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky