Smoked Sweet Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aw -- it is that time of year in NC. I have an electric smoker. I usually cook about 2.5 hours at 225 -- about a med sized potato. Use whatever wood I need for the other items that are cooking. Never get much smoke flavor through the skin. Do not poke any holes. Usually throw a garlic bulb in with about 1.5 hrs left in the cook.

Then I take it out, peel the skin and add butter and brown sugar.

I need to get out to the farmers market soon...

I was thinking about it after watching Bobby Flay Grill some the other day...

I have never smoked them but it would make the wife happy for alittle while and I guess that would make me happy to smoke them for her. So somebody help us I would just cut slit in them and pour in some butter and alittle spices mixed in and throw them in the smoker. Yummo for sure

Smoked Potatoes

These are basically smoked potatoes with an herb and spice rub. Sounds like barbecue to me.
INGREDIENTS:
• 8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
• 1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted
• HERB MIX:
• 2 tablespoons ground sage
• 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
• 2 tablespoons dried parsley
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons paprika
PREPARATION:
Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease ( I just use butter at times ) into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.
I like to open them up the last 1/2 hour or so to make the skin alittle more crunchy. Sweet potatoes work too and actually will take less time to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky