Smoked Spoonbill Sturgeon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shotsfired87

Original poster
May 10, 2014
Godfrey IL

I have a chargriller gas grill with smoke box on the side. I used lump coal and pecan chips. I brined the spoonbill for about 5 hours this morning while it was still thawing cut the original slab of meat into 9 pieces about the size of my hand, it was still a little frozen in the middle when i cut it. Put it on the smoker for 4 hours at 175-200 degrees. I rotated the meat after about 2 hours (left to right). It turned out delicious. I'm still new to smoking this is my third smoke now (did some pork steaks and some rabbit for the other two) which also turned out great. I have trouble keeping smoke rolling the whole time, it seems like no matter what it just stops smoking after about an hour and a half or two hours. I move the chips closer to the coals and they catch on fire. I take them further away and they don't smoke. I made a coal basket out of some heavy steel mesh (basically welded a box together) this time and keep it far from the cooking area to the right of my smoke box close to the air inlet. I also put dryer tubing coming down from the stacks so that the smoke will stay in the cooking chamber longer. Still need a better seal around the lid and left side of the chamber where the gas vent hole is located.

Had to try a bite before I took the picture

Last edited:
Looks-Great.gif

Reactions: shotsfired87
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky