Smoked some fresh pork bellies... Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motoman3b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Worked out a deal this year, butchered a couple deer for a guy in trade for a pig so these bellies were probably the freshest you can get.  Smoked with a mix of hickory and apple.  Turned out great!

Looks like your links are broken I get page not found error. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Did a dry cure with mortons sugar cure, and yes they were bare in the smoker, I dont like to season things more then they need to be.  The one belly I did pour some pure maple syrup in while it was curing and it complemented the bacon very well added a hint of maple flavor!

Cold smoked, kept the smoker around 100 degrees for about 10 hours using a mix of apple with a little hickory mixed in.  After it smoked I let it rest in the fridge overnight before slicing.  Going to be getting another pig in a month or two which is good cause this bacon sure isnt going to last.  I also make a ground and formed venison bacon so thats on my to do list sometime soon as well.

I'm doing my first pork belly in a couple of days , i'm going with 200f untill an iT of 150 , but I'm not sure if I should use water or not. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Are you going 200* because your not using a cure? and yes if your going to go that hot a water pan will keep the fat that will render from dripping into your heat source and causing a fire or flare ups.

That cooking at 200*F is probably an Insurance policy that Mr. Ruhlman added because he has no idea who is reading his info. It lets you eat the Bacon right out of the refer with no further cooking, like BBB or CB. If you Always cook your Bacon before eating it, cold smoke it at <100*F until it gets a nice color, may be 10+/- hours...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize I was in the cold smoke forum, I did a search to avoid starting a new thread. I like to eat it both ways so I'll have to decide which way to go.

I don't think the forum you are posting in is what prompted Chef JJ's response.   Dave I don't know how much experience you have with bacon but most of us cure with either a brine or dry cure and then cold smoke.  Some of us smoke for a couple of hours some of us smoke for a couple of days.    I've never hot smoked bacon but I know a bunch of members do and they seem to be pretty happy with their results.  

Good luck,   when you get it going post some Qview!  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky